The Vertigo of Bliss review by Biffy Clyro

• Released: Jun 16, 2003
Biffy Clyro: The Vertigo of Bliss

This is the second album from Scot Rockers Biffy Clyro, and considering Blackened Sky was amazing, it was always going to take something special to beat it, yet this manages to. The signature Biffy sound is hard to describe considering its originality, if I were to try I would say its raw, punchy, often awe-inspiring and exciting. Theres such an edge about Simon Neill's playing that just screams emotion, this is also evident in his live playing. This backed up by strong drumming, and groovy bass riffs used to augment the guitars creates an almost orchestral wall of sound.

Simon Neill's lyrics are Perfect. They are filled with emotion and meaningfullness, this combined with great backing vocals from James Johnston (bass) an Ben Johnston (drums) really shows the lyrics in their best light. Simon's singing has really come on since Blackened Sky and is often the lead point in songs such as 'All The Way Down: Prologue Chapter I'. Just great.

This album is almost perfect, I'm a strong believer that nothing is ever perfect, yet I gave this a ten because I couldn't give it 9.9, and because this is as close to perfection as any album will get. The best songs on this album are 'Bodies in Flight' and 'All The Way Down: Prologue Chapter I'. If you havn't bought this album you should.

Xandre
    First time I listened to it, it kinda puzzled me, but when I got into it... wow, it's my favorite Biffy album to date, and they need to start playing more off this album live (Especially Toys)
    Lonely-Enigma
    Best album they've done, absolutely phenomenal. All The Way Down is the best song on the album, I learnt the whole thing in ten minutes and I love it. I'm also in love with Diary of Always which nobody has mentioned for some reason, that and All The Way Down send shivers down my spine, in a totally perfect way. I love Biffy Clyro!