Sex Reflex review by Bile

• Reviewer's score: 6.7 Neat
Bile: Sex Reflex

One thing becomes apparent after listening to this album: Krztoff (the band's frontman) loves distortion, especially on the guitar tracks. Indeed, some of the guitar parts on this album almost sound like white noise. The good news is that, despite the distortion, the album is not a casualty to the "Loudness War". Still, the production is not the highest quality, so I've got to mark off for that. The songs just don't sound "full", as they say (it's worth mentioning that the production of albums by most bands of Bile's standing is usually even worse).

The vocal quality of Krztoff is alright, but it's a bit hard to tell what it really sounds like given the record's production. The lyrics aren't very deep, and usually, true to the record's name, deal with sex (or zombies, or both). The lyrics for the first full-length song on the album, "Betty Page", almost rival rap songs in terms of dirtiness. Those type of lyrics usually don't appeal to me, and as a result they kind of rubbed me the wrong way here.

The songs featured on this album are not of the most original variety. Still, they are certainly entertaining, even catchy. The standout songs for me are "Betty Page", "Sex Reflex", and "Rock is Dead in Bed". The band's biggest (underground) hit, "In League," is, oddly enough, rather forgetful. In the end, I'm not sure I like this album enough as a whole to buy it again. I might end up doing that if it were stolen, but maybe I'd just save my money for a different one instead.