The Future Embrace review by Billy Corgan

• Released: Jun 21, 2005
Billy Corgan: The Future Embrace

Billy Corgan enters a different territory with "The Future Embrace." The only previous work of his, that even relates to this disc at all, is 1998's "Adore," by The Smashing Pumpkins. The basic theme or genre of this album is electronica. Corgan was influenced by the new wave and electronic sounds of the 80's, while writing this record. On the day of it's release, he announced the revival of his former group, The Smashing Pumpkins. While "The Future Embrace," had a very clean listenable sound, it also had an absense of warmth to it, that "Adore," did not fail to include. If anything, out of all of Corgan's records, it lacked a little more personality than other pieces. While still mostly great thru and thru, there is improvement here.

The lyrics appear to be at a more poetic level, then say earlier Pumpkins' albums. This obviously has been a change in Corgan's writing style over the last couple of years, and it definitely comes through on this CD. Billy's vocalization on this record, are very crisp and clear, like so on Zwan's album. Many may miss his raw, sometimes near screaming from the '90s mania that was Smashing Pumpkins, but on this album, I suppose it works.

I would have to say this is probably Corgan's dullest record, but this is a biased opinion, from a Smashing Pumpkins fanatic. It still remains to be better than most records, that most bands release today. Outstanding tracks are "Mina Loy," "To Love Somebody," "A100," "Walking Shade," "Strayz," and "I'm Ready." Cameo appearances on the album include: Jimmy Chamberlin, drummer of The Smashing Pumpkins, and Robert Smith, frontman of The Cure. Some of the songwriting was something to be desired, especially on Corgan's standards. I suggest he should've put a little more time into this record, it seems a little more rushed than past CD's. There are a few skippable tracks, and I generally listen to a rotation of about maybe half of the disc, everytime. If I were to lose this album, I would most likely re-purchase almost right away, merely by the principle that it's a Billy Corgan record. Either way, it's still worth the money. If you aren't a hardcore fan, I suggest starting with something a little more universal such as, "Siamese Dream," or "Mellon Collie and The Infinite Sadness."

Geek_Aus
    heard a few of the songs. i'll probably get around to buying it soon. billy corgan is awesome.
    fireoptic
    I love smashing pumpkins, but I didn't really like this album.. Too much techno stuff, and his singing was all edited. But still, hes a great song writer.
    badpun
    hey this is just billy expanding his creativity to fit his personal style he doesnt always have to sound like the pumpkins and it is a nice change
    Geek_Aus
    i bought it a couple of days ago. its not bad. and im pretty glad i bought it.
    jtgjazz
    yer i think he looks kinda creepy on the cover but the pumpkins are still my fav band. he looks beta wif hair