The Future Embrace Review

Billy Corgan: The Future Embrace
Release Date: Jun 21, 2005
Label: Warner Bros.
Genres: Alternative Pop/Rock
Corgan's most intimate set of songs yet, the hauntingly beautiful The Future Embrace brings together Corgan's astonishing past and promising present.
 Lyrics: 9.5
 8.1
 9.4
 6.7
The Future Embrace Reviewed by: Andy Ferris, on august 25, 2006

Sound: Billy Corgan enters a different territory with "The Future Embrace." The only previous work of his, that even relates to this disc at all, is 1998's "Adore," by The Smashing Pumpkins. The basic theme or genre of this album is electronica. Corgan was influenced by the new wave and electronic sounds of the 80's, while writing this record. On the day of it's release, he announced the revival of his former group, The Smashing Pumpkins. While "The Future Embrace," had a very clean listenable sound, it also had an absense of warmth to it, that "Adore," did not fail to include. If anything, out of all of Corgan's records, it lacked a little more personality than other pieces. While still mostly great thru and thru, there is improvement here. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics appear to be at a more poetic level, then say earlier Pumpkins' albums. This obviously has been a change in Corgan's writing style over the last couple of years, and it definitely comes through on this CD. Billy's vocalization on this record, are very crisp and clear, like so on Zwan's album. Many may miss his raw, sometimes near screaming from the '90s mania that was Smashing Pumpkins, but on this album, I suppose it works. // 9

Overall Impression: I would have to say this is probably Corgan's dullest record, but this is a biased opinion, from a Smashing Pumpkins fanatic. It still remains to be better than most records, that most bands release today. Outstanding tracks are "Mina Loy," "To Love Somebody," "A100," "Walking Shade," "Strayz," and "I'm Ready." Cameo appearances on the album include: Jimmy Chamberlin, drummer of The Smashing Pumpkins, and Robert Smith, frontman of The Cure. Some of the songwriting was something to be desired, especially on Corgan's standards. I suggest he should've put a little more time into this record, it seems a little more rushed than past CD's. There are a few skippable tracks, and I generally listen to a rotation of about maybe half of the disc, everytime. If I were to lose this album, I would most likely re-purchase almost right away, merely by the principle that it's a Billy Corgan record. Either way, it's still worth the money. If you aren't a hardcore fan, I suggest starting with something a little more universal such as, "Siamese Dream," or "Mellon Collie and The Infinite Sadness." // 8

The Future Embrace Reviewed by: badpun, on march 27, 2007

Sound: This album has a bit of a synth in it but it is carefully crafted not like some of the records from the eighties. If you are looking for a pumpkins album this is not it, this is a statement from Billy Corgan about himself and his beliefs not teen angst. The guitar work here is not used dominate but merely complement the music adding and enhancing it with with tidy and catchy riffs throughout the songs. Throbbing bass lines and plenty of synth are core of these songs. // 10

Lyrics: Corgan's skills as songwriter show through on this album like all his others but unlike on most of his previous albums his lyrics have trancended into more like poetry but this merely helps the flow of the songs. In his lyrics Billy shows his fear "I cannot face tommorow" (Dia), his faith "I'm ready Oh lord I'm ready" (I'm Ready) and his optomism "All things change" (All Things Change). His vocal style has changed ever since zwan and he continues in style although he is a good singer he ocasionaly whines but this will only annoy people who haven't listened to him before. // 10

Overall Impression: This is a very good album as it shows us another side of Billy that we have seen before but in this album Billy hides nothing leaving everything open so people can see who he truly is. The standout songs from the album are basically all of them but the truly haunting 'Strayz' is a beautiful closer to the album. If this album was lost or stolen I would definitely but new copy as this album is one of the few albums that completely capture me. // 10

Comments