Billy Talent review by Billy Talent

• Released: Sep 16, 2003
Billy Talent: Billy Talent

The Sound to me on this album is very repeatative. You could be caught saying that every song on this album sounds the same, but is that a bad thing? The album is a Cut above the rest of these "Bratty Punk Bands" that try and fail. Billy Talents sound on this CD is very Hard Hitting and "In your face". The Guitars on this CD are amazing. The Fast picking and the melodies that go with them are very well executed. The sound is something that I haven't really heard before, the constant "wining" from vocalist Benjamin Kowalewicz is very effective and is unique. Also thier live sound is unbelievable, trust me I've seen them! Overall they seem to remind me of early punk with a mixture of dirty vocals and a noise that pesters the hell out of you.

Well, where do you start. The difference between most vocalists is their range of vocals. My god can this Kid scream and shout and at the same time he can be as sweet as a nut. Songs such as "Nothing to Lose" show the emotion and the softer side to Billy Talent, but if you want Wining, Bratty vocals and awesome music then songs like "Try Honesty", "The Ex" & "River Below" is what you should listen to. The Lyrics fit well together with the music. Singing skills are best tested on "This Is How It Goes", Lyrics such as "I hold my breathe till my heart explodes" they show how Benjamin feels and I think he protrays them well on this CD.

Overall, it's a good CD. Again it lacks the certain Killer blow. I got the feeling that the band have afew "fillers" on this album. But for a debut album its extremly good. I would compare it to bands such as Halo Friendlies & Hoobastank. The Standout tracks on the CD are "River Below" & "This Is How It Goes". They are hard to explain but they are songs I haven't really heard anyone else trying to do, which is why I like them. The Thing I love about this album is the pure bratty persona that the band give off. The vocals are so emotionally charged and their live performance is amazing. If you like the CD then you will love their Live performance. It's worth buying if you like this kinda music but it ain't for everybody, so my overall impression is that this is a good cd but I think if the band could go back and do it again, they would change afew things.