Billy Talent review by Billy Talent

• Released: Sep 16, 2003
Billy Talent: Billy Talent

The sound on this album is magnificentely unique. Many say it is punk rock but I beg to differ, this is simply genius with insteruments. The sound of every song is very deep and heartfelt, very jazzy riffs, deep innovative basslines, masterfully timed drumming and the most energised vocals I have ever heard! Guitarist Ian D'sa creates some of the most amazingly unique guitar peices in history(seriously), this is far from what can be described as punk rock. It is hard to say what it reminds me of because I have never heard anything like it. The insane chorus of "This is how it goes" to the deep melody of "Nothing To Lose" to the brilliant bounce of "Cut The Curtains". This is quite simply an incredible sound which is going to be very hard to beat.

Is it just me or does singer Benjamin Kowalewicz have some issues? The subject matter of these songs have quite a variety, beside this though, they are all on some level deep and meaningful. Everything from the typical resentment of a ex girlfriend "The Ex", abuse from a father "Try Honesty" to contemplating suicide "Nothing To Lose". Some of these lyrics seem humourously non-sensical "My Mental Dishes Are Finally Clean.." but I refuse to believe this for the sheer fact that all these lyrics seem to come from the depths of Bens feelings. Lyrically the songs that grab me the most are "Cut The Curtains", "Prisoners of today" and "This is how it goes". I love every subject matter and how there given life alongside the instruments.

Fantastic, marvelous, incredible, insanely brilliant! If this album was ever broken id buy two to make sure never again! If it was ever stolen I would find who ever stole it beat them within an inch of they're life then make them watch as I steal everything and anything they own. I may sound a tiny bit fanatical but that is how much I love this album. I dont think I'm ever going to leave my girlfriend because it was her who bought it me! My favorite songs on this album are very hard to say but heres a few which I love that miniscule amount over the others. "This is how it goes", "The Ex", "Prisoners of today", "River Below" and "Cut the curtains". What I love about this album?. Everything. The meaning of each song, the aggression/harmony variety of the singing, the amazing guitaring/bassing, the powerful drums everything! There is nothing I dislike. One of the main aspects of many of the songs is the explosiveness of them as they jump from your speakers in a passionate rage! Its all amazing! So Unique! So satisfying! So amazing! One of the best albums/bands I have ever heard. And if this review isn't convincing keep in mind I'am a sort of person who lives of death metal and insanely heavy metal! And this C.D has forced its way into my CD collection, held its own and now is my favorite and its never going away! I love this album, please I emplore you to grab that tiny bit of cash and buy it, you will never regret it its amazing.