Billy Talent review by Billy Talent

• Released: Sep 16, 2003
Billy Talent: Billy Talent

Billy Talent is one of the most unique sounding albums i've heard in a long time. Whether it be the piercing screams of Ben, or the beach boys sounding chords of Ian, everything sounds perfect. This Toronto Based group of punk rockers know exactly how to grab an ear and grab my ear they did with their debut album. The vocals on this album may scare some people off, but that is only because they are some of the most unique vocals I've ever heard, and I mean this in a very good way. Whether he be screaming or singing ben knows how to sound beautiful 100 percent of the time. Unique, it's the only word I know to say to describe this album and I will say it again for the guitar. amazingly unique. Ian D'sa is the only guitarist in the world who plays like this and I love it. From the face paced opener "This is How it Goes" to the soft emotional "Nothing to Lose" to the 80's sounding cut the curtains, Ian knows how to make it sound right. The guitar is the most notable instrument in this album. The bass on this album is not just boring old bass lines that follow the guitar like you would hear with most punk bands, Jon Gallent rocks the bass just as hard as Ian rocks the guitar. His best work during the intro to "this is how it goes" when he harmonizes perfectly with Ians Guitar. Other great songs from the bassist are "river below", "try honesty" and "the ex". The drumming on this album is fairly basic, not overplayed nor underplayed, but perfectly in between. Aaron's drumming style perfects suits the sound billy talent already has going on. songs such as "try honesty" and "River below" truly have the drums blend in like magic. Magic, yes magic, perfect word to describle the drumming.

I love the lyrics on this album because of how much meaning they hold. Take the lyrics for "Nothing to Lose" It's the story about a 17 kid who gets bullied and teased at school so much that he eventually kills himself. Or "Standing in the Rain" A story about a prostitute who gets kidnapped, And finally the raw anger of " The Ex" Every single one of Billy talents songs has great meaning and I love every single word. All of their lyrics work perfectly with every song and ever word was picked carefully to make sure it was right. Beautiful lyrics.

This is the best Debut album I have ever heard in my life, a great young band formerly under the name "Pezz" Billy Talent really knocked my socks off with this record. Everything about it ties in perfectly for an amazing listening experience. My favorite songs were Juno Winning "River Below" "Try Honesty" and "This is How It Goes" If it were stolem o would buy it again ANY day. I am in love with billy talent.