Billy Talent review by Billy Talent

• Released: Sep 16, 2003
Billy Talent: Billy Talent

Billy Talent is a Canadian rock band with a difference. They have a very unique sound. Formed in 1993, it took over a decade to reach mainstream success. There self titled debut album, "Billy Talent" released in 2003, combines sharp guitar playing, catchy lyrics and fast upbeat songs. The music is a combination of punk rock and alternative rock. But it's hard to place a specific genre on this band, I'll let you decide. With 12 tracks on the album, I'll go through each one. 01. This Is How It Goes - a perfect opener. The sharp guitar riff, followed by the drums then bass. Builds up into a unique sound. This song is actualy about the drummer in the band, as he has multiple sclerosis. 02. Living In The Shadows - one of the weaker songs in my opinion. But still very good. 03. Try Honesty - probebly the most popular song on the album. Very catchy in the chorus when Ian is singing, I can't help but sing along. Powerfull and fast. 04. Line & Sinker - Ben's screaming makes an appearance here. Clean, and dynamic. Great duel singing in the chorus too. 05. Lies - catchy chorus, and smooth verse's. Also great harmonies from Ian. 06. The Ex - this is a great song, upbeat and aggressive. Obviously about an ex-girlfriend. 07. River Below - again, Ian's singing works well in this song. Cool guitar riff in intro as well. Not one of the strongest songs on the album though. 08. Standing In The Rain - a slower song now, but still loud and slightly aggressive. The line, "milk carton mugshot baby, missing sinse 1983" sticks in my mind. 09. Cut The Curtains - aggressive intro. This is one of my favourites. Duel singing in the chorus works very well. Solo! Very good, Ian's guitar skills are top class. Plus the part where the volume decreases to basicly 0, amazing. This should be good live. 10. Prisoners Of Today - starts quiet but then explodes into a powerfull sound. Does this a lot in this track. Top class 11. Nothing To Lose - this has got to be one of the most saddest, deppressing songs I've ever listened to. It's about someone commiting suicide, because they don't feel accepted into life. The last line of the song, "and I just died today". True story? It could be. The part that most sticks out for me is Ben's screaming at the end. The amount of emotion put into them words is unbeleiveable! It actualy sounds like he might be crying while he was singing in the studio. Amazing song, but very sad. 12. Voices Of Violence - thank goodness. A fast upbeat song to end on. A change from the last song. A very good track, one of the best on the album.

Ben's lyrics are done very well. They work well with the music, and you can guess the meaning pritty easyily. Ben's singing is quite unique, which works well for the bands sound. It can be described as high pitched, or whiney. But I love it, also Ian's singing voice works very well with it as well. These two were made to be with each other. An good example of Ben's writing skills is shown with 'Nothing to lose'. "There's nothing to lose, when no one knoes your name". Powerfull lyrics, but very effective. Also, 'Try Honesty', has some great lyrics. it's about being honest, probebly to your partner? "Try Honesty," "Ride Over Me," "Cry Agony," "Die Tragedy."

My overall opinion of this album is a very good one. It has a very fast, aggressive tone thoughout. Well strucutred and tight songs. Which has come from the amount of experience this band has. The best songs are 'try honestly, cut the curtains, the ex and voices of violence'. The most impressive in my opinion is 'nothing to lose'. I love Ian's guitar playing, it's unique, and has a 'sharp' aspect about it. I don't think I hate anything about it. If it were lost, I would buy it again, defently. Great album, from a great band.