Billy Talent II review by Billy Talent

• Released: Jun 23, 2006
Billy Talent: Billy Talent II

"Billy Talent II" is an overall masterpiece. Ian D'Sa, the simultaneous lead and rhythm guitarist (you'd understand if you heard any Billy Talent track), producer, graphic designer, vocalist, and music theory wizard has truly outdone himself this time. For a four-piece band, Billy Talent couldn't possibly have a bigger sound, even if they chose to forgo their indie cred and amass an outright massive production team to do it. Utilizing typical instruments (i.e., bass, guitar, percussion, vocals), "Billy Talent II" is a great example of a simple combination of instruments creating intricate music.

Lyrically, "Billy Talent II" is a force to be reckoned with. Many of the tracks on the record are nearly perfect, with great congruence between the message sent and the message received. Almost every song on the album melds perfectly with the song before and after it, though there are a few exceptions. "Where Is the Line" has a great message about the price of nonconformity with a few odd phrases here and there, but the music doesn't mesh very well with the lyrics. Another standout is "Surrender," which has amazing lyrics, but suffers from the same issues as "Where Is the Line."

Let me go on record and say that this is one of my most treasured albums in my collection. If stolen (because I know for sure I wouldn't lose it), I would definitely buy another copy - plus other merch from the band while I'm at it. My favorite track off "BT II" is "Fallen Leaves," which very clearly inspires a mental music video every time I listen to it. "Where Is the Line" is the only track on this album I'll skip because I just don't think it fits well with the overall theme or musical style. Other than that, it's a Grade A record that deserves far more exposure on American radiowaves.