Billy Talent II review by Billy Talent

• Released: Jun 23, 2006
Billy Talent: Billy Talent II

Basically 3 years after their original release, Billy Talent comes up with Billy Talent II, a great follow-up to their original self-titled album. Something about Billy Talent's music gives me chills all the time. They show here that their music varies alot, they are very versatile, and we should keep an eye on them for the future.

01. Devil In A Midnight Mass - this song is full of energy. The beginning guitar intro is like nothing you've heard from Billy Talent. There's quite a few bits of amazing harmony here done by Ben (lead singer). The lyrics in this song are good, but not as good as the other songs. 02. Red Flag - one of the weaker songs of the album, or maybe it's because it was the first one I've heard, and it has been overplayed since. The guitar in the pre-chorus is fantastic though. 03. This Suffering - one of the best songs on the album. Every member of this band seems to have put all their talent into this song. The lyrics in this song give me chills. "She's a bullet in Russian Roulette". The song is easy listening but still has everything you would want from Billy Talent. The harmony in this song is fantastic. 04. Worker Bees - different. That is the only word you can use to describe this song. I liked it, there's something about it. The lyrics are great, confusing at times. The vocals in this song are amazing. 05. Pins And Needles - one of the best songs on Billy Talent II. The guitar intro is one of the best little riffs ever. The lyrics just fit so well with the music and the vocals are subtle and yet, so great. 06. Fallen Leaves - what a great little song. The energy just oozes out of this song. The lyrics are amazing "In a crooked little town, they were lost and never found, fallen leaves" It's just so haunting. The Vocals in this song are the best of the album! 07. Where Is The Line - weaker song, still great though. Not much to say except that this song is still enjoyable. 08. Covered In Cowardice - great song, truly. The lyrics in this song are amazing "Beware the voice without a face!" The intro to this song doesn't seem to fit, but is ignorable due to the amazing lyrics and vocals. 09. Surrender - I never thought Billy Talent would release a song like this. This song is great on many levels. It is slow, subtle, soothing. The vocals are amazing, Ben has outdone himself here too. The lyrics here are a little weaker than the rest, but ignorable. 10. In The Fall - the worst song on the album, in my opinion. I felt like I was listening to a christmas album. I have nothing to say except why? 11. Perfect World - this song is so fun to listen to. It's a perfect dancing song. The little guitar riffs in the verses are fantastic and the chorus leaves you in a funk. The lyrics are decent. 12. Sympathy - great song! "It hurts my pride, step aside, because I dont need your sympathy," Ben sings, as we enter the chorus into a heartfelt, yet upbeat song. I love this song because it is simple, yet nothing comes short. 13. Burn The Evidence - another song makes its way into the top of the tops. The guitar riffs here are fantastic on so many levels. The chorus' riff is amazing. Burn the evidence is a more mature song, then most. The outro in this song is just great and leaves you in an offbeat funk. 14. When I Was A Little Girl - a fun song. Plain and simple. Upbeat, full of energy, easy to listen to. The lyrics are left to be desired, but that's okay. The vocals seem to have been rushed and not concentrated on because the instrumentals dominate here.

I think the sequel to the Self-titled album, Billy Talent proves that the band has matured, emotionally, and musically. I love the energy that I gain listening to this album. The vocals just give me goosebumps. Ben can sing and scream, with no issue. What Is missing? I think Ian should be allowed to pop in some rockin' guitar solos. I love Billy Talent, and they've made me happy with this release.