Billy Talent II review by Billy Talent

• Released: Jun 23, 2006
Billy Talent: Billy Talent II

The ground-breaking first album of canadian rockers Billy Talent, would seem like a hard act to follow, and many artist's musical talent declines as time goes on, however this band's talent only increases. Whereas the first album was hardcore punk, the feeling of this album has a softer, yet more powerful sound. The bass is a lot louder and more present, which is something (as a bassist) to be happy about. The riff's varie betweens simple as hell (Worker Bees, The Navy Song) to finger breakingly difficult (Devil in a Midnight Mass). The Riff to some song's sounds very moody. For Fallen Leaves it almost sounds like a childs fantasy or a nursery rhyme, which is represented in the video. Devil in a Midnight mass sounds absoulutely evil.

The Lyrics are beautiful. Every song in the album has a defining topic. Devil in a Midnight mass is about a peadophilic priest, Red Flag is a tale of Youth Rebellion, This Suffering, Pins and Needles, Surrender and Perfect World are about girls and the bands experience with them, Worker Bees is a story of war, Fallen Leaves involves drugs and the corruption that follows through their use, Where is the Line is about fashion, and the media. Covered in Cowardice is about being truthful. In the Fall (also known as the Navy Song)is about a Navy soldier dying in battle, and Burn the Evidence is about leaving everything behind and starting afresh. Each of these sets of words are meaningful and beautiful, making great harmonics. I especially love the backing chant in 'In the Fall' where Ian D'sa and Jon Gallant shout "In the Fall, In the fall, When the tides took them all". The only lyrical problem in my opinion is in 'Fallen Leaves' because the lyrics are made up of about 60% of the phrase 'Fallen Leaves', this is commonly mocked by haters of the band.

This album is without doubt, the best of Billy Talent's range, it is melodic, it is hardcore, it is a fan favourite, it is topical, it is memorable, and it has that extra 'umph' you get from Billy Talent. I couldnt give you the best song on the album, they are all amazingly good, but my least favourite would be 'Sympathy' it's generally unmemorable and not very exciting. I love the fact that this album is more topical than the others, it has varies areas and explores them in great detail. This is the album that made me love Billy Talent.