Billy Talent III review by Billy Talent

• Released: Jul 17, 2009
Billy Talent: Billy Talent III

Three years on since Billy Talent II the highly anticipated third album is released. The Canadian-Based rock band's 'more of the same' attitude pays off as the album rounds off a fantastic trilogy of records. Like I say the sound is very similar however songs such as 'Rusted From The Rain' and 'White Sparrows' are set at a slower tempo than usual however overdrive is still on the guitars and Ben's vocals tear through the entire album as expected.

Ben's lyrics and vocals are equal to if not better than the previous Billy Talent and Pezz records. 'Saint Veronika' (from what I can gather) is about a friend who attempted suicide. The lyrics get you thinking and get you listening. 'White Sparrows' speaks of a lost loved one using brilliant extended metaphors through the chorus. 'Tears to Wine' explains a mans fight with alcoholism wonderfully portrayed through the lyrics. As for the vocals themselves it is vintage 'Billy Talent' if you are a fan of there vocal sound this album will be no disappointment.

A big improvement is the introductions. Despite classics such as 'Pins and Needles' and 'Fallen Leaves' the introductions on 'Billy Talent III' really are on the next level, 'Tears to Wine' and 'White Sparrows' both throw you straight in at the deep end by setting the mood of the song fantastically. Guitar solos are top notch and the bassline never faulters to lock in with the drums as the songs' spinal chord. If this album was stolen it would soon be rebought. This is 'Talent's best album to date and I highly recommend it.

Dadek
    I'd just like to say that Saint Veronika is about a book written by Paulo Coelho, called 'Veronika Decides to Die'. It's pretty awesome that they made a cultural reference. Other than that, I was pretty disappointed at first,they are so repetitive, it's always the same thing, but I guess that's just their style. The album is growing on me.
    BTrz
    the new album is complete shit compared to the first two albums. Guitar riffs stay really fine, awesome guitar solo in devil on my shoulder.. but the vocals get more and more weak and the band is getting mainstream (probably for earning more money) and so they write a song against getting rich (pocketful of dreams) the only two songs that are as good as the songs on the first two albums are saint veronika and white sparrows (and maybe DOMS but that wouldn't fit because of its jazzy style)