Day One review by Birds of Tokyo

• Released: Feb 5, 2007
Birds of Tokyo: Day One

With the release of Day One, Birds Of Tokyo have burst onto the Australian live music scene. Their album debuted at #03 on the Aussie AIR charts, selling out in stores all across the country. Due to their success they have played to a 6000 plus crowd at this years Big Day Out and are about to start their very anticipated National Tour. With even the first listen to Day One we see that this isn't an ordinary rock album. Day One attempts to create a new fresh branding of rock as The Birds manage to mix Eastern, Blues, Heavy Rock and acoustic sounds with their brand of fun, fast rock and roll. One of the albums main highlights is the vocal lines and harmonies created by Ian Kenny. The epic choruses of songs such as Off Kilter and Rest Here My Brother are simply breathtaking.

The lyrics seem to be the only aspect in which Day One lacks. Repetitive and somewhat predictable lyrics are used throughout the album, especially in songs such as Way Side and Rest Here My Brother but by doing so add to the longevity of the tracks. Bare in mind, this is a rock album aimed for commercial success. If the lyrics were intended to stay in your head, never leave and possibly drive you insane Bot have certainly achieved that. This is predominately due to Ian Kenny and co's vocal harmonies. The delivery of the vocals on this album is really a highlight.

At first listen Day one is a rock album with a twist, second listen it's one of the more original releases to come out of Australia in recent years, a perfect fusion of Rock, Pop and everything else the Birds have thrown in their aimed to stay with you for weeks and never let you go. All tracks are impressive in their own unique ways and the way BoT have managed to steer clear of making the albums sound the same as one another is something to be admired. Buy this album. Support Aussie music.

rb26dett741
    Overall a pretty good CD. Off Kilter is absolutely awesome. I still think the Karnivool style is more suited to Ians voice (he's like an everlasting gob-stopper of musical genius). A living testament to the brute power of WA bands.
    Kikuta
    Start small, end up with an album on the top 3rd place. These dudes played at my damn school! Goes to show how every gig counts!
    stefanomassimo
    I've had this album since release, and it hasn't really left my generic music player. I'm a little annoyed that i missed them at the big day out though, didn't realise til halfway through the day...