Homogenic Review

9.7
 9.3
review (1) 1 comment vote for this album:
Homogenic Reviewed by: DownInAHole., on june 26, 2009

Sound: You know, now that I begin to think about it, I have always, and I mean always, been somewhat of a chauvinist when it comes to my taste and preference in music. I never really have given a ton of women credit for influencing my music or have an impact on me personally and there is a reason for that: there aren't any that have. I mean, sure, Liz Buckingham rocks the bass guitar, Susan Boyle can sing her ass off, and, for all I know, Stevie Nicks' voice can resemble God's himself, but the young woman I am about to review is the first woman that I can find in my music library that is female, and, incidentally, is a musical genius in my mind. Bjork is this woman. Her music is stunning and beautiful, yet in the same light, powerful and abrasive. The thing that is most striking about her sound is the fact that her music gets particularly pretentious and wild in some areas, yet Bjork remains to have her natural feminine grace and you can sense it in her music. 1997's Homogenic, her most critically acclaimed album in her career, is just a footnote in the development and progress in Bjork's genius legacy. In a traditional sense, Homogenic is deemed an electronic album, though it defies what a traditional electronic listener is accustomed to listening to. While the drum programming is somewhat wild and fast, she makes the most of her songs by adding strings and romantic risque sections, making her music theatrical in the process. There are also several other beautiful touches on this album to make it just that more graceful. Bjork adds accordions and other ambient instruments to accompany the abstract beats in the songs. Sounds odd and uninteresting, but she makes it work quite decently. In the sound department though, the songs follow the same formula. Just think romance, confusion, and mystery and you've solved the hidden themes hidden in Homogenic. // 10

Lyrics: When Bjork first starts singing in each song, you can't help but not pay attention to what she is singing, but, more or less, how she is singing. The notes she hits are incredible. It's nuts. However, the lyrics are also a strong point of Bjork's as well. Alarm Call is a song directed at music itself's development and is speculated to be about Michael Jackson, who has since passed away, making the song that much more meaningful. Hunter is another great single off of Homogenic. Hunter is Bjork's song directed at all of those who are too dependent on her, meaning she wrote songs to keep other around her "employed." I don't know. It sounded odd to me too, but at least she is honest in her words and makes her lyrics genuine. Most of the songs are in homage to her native Iceland. My favorite track off of this album is Joga, which is the nickname of one of her friends her passed away. Although the word "Joga" is never mentioned in song, the words "state of emergency" echo and impact the listener and you really feel her feelings for her beloved "Joga" in the chorus. Overall, the lyrics are thought provoking, yet sentimental in an abstract way. It just takes a while to see it. // 9

Overall Impression: As said earlier, Bjork is a genius and an inspiration. Her music defies traditional music standards and her genre tackling ease is astounding. Homogenic is my favorite album of hers. I listen to it all the time. Look past her gender and vulnerability, and you'll see the genius in her. Take a chance you will not regret this one. // 9

Comments