Damaged review by Black Flag

• Released: Nov 16, 1981
Black Flag: Damaged

Contrasting slightly from earlier recordings, Damaged is an album with hardcore anthems such as "Rise Above" which define the era of punk they helped pioneer. Black Flag brings a heavy sound to this album and it fits well in their progression of sound. Tracks such as "Room 13" and "Damaged" show the evolution of this band's wild sound into something focused and razor sharp. Greg Ginn's guitar work along with Henry Rollins vocals bring a definite punch to the ear drums, Ginn is a guitar maniac with solos to prove it.

Lyrically Black Flag brings a hard hitting combination of anti-establishment and self hating/paranoia with just a touch of humor. For the most part the lyrics are beautifully written, aside from the sad addition of the song "TV Party" which is possibly Black Flag's worst song written. Anti-police songs like "Police Story" are traditional Black Flag, violent yet mocking and fast as hell.

For the time, Black Flag were pioneers. They paved the way for many with their hard and fast approach to music. Cut the crap and let the people hear the unadulterated sounds of chaos. Must say that this album is almost all good things, the only downfall would be keeping the track "TV Party" which is a jab at popular culture. Black Flag captures a heavy feeling while moving eerily close to the brink of insanity. This album is a staple in any Punk lover's collection.

Nacho Cheese!
    Although I don't like TV Party, you make it out to be worse then it is. The rest of it I kinda agree...I love this album!
    Nacho Cheese!
    Nothing is wrong with us. We just have different tastes then you Mr.Paddles. What the hell is wrong with being an individual?