Damaged review by Black Flag

• Released: Nov 16, 1981
Black Flag: Damaged

If I had to pick an album with the most raw, brutal sound in my collection, this would certainly be a contender. Imagine an assault of messy distorted guitars over screaming, angry vocals, and there you go, Black Flag. It had cheap recording quality, and I think that makes it all the better. Albums like this wouldn't be as good and raw if they had good production.

While there's nothing amazing about the lyrics, they're better than you'd expect from an underground hardcore punk band. They're very anti-everything, such as police and government, but I don't get the whole "Anti-parent" controversy. I don't see that. Because of the vocal styling, you probably won't get a lot of the lyrics out of it, so they're.

This is probably the best hardcore punk album ever made. The only thing I can think of that gives it a run for it's money is New Day Rising by Husker Du. And I sort of agree and disagree with the other reviewer who didn't like tv party. I think it's a fun song, but way more mainstream than the other songs on Damaged. My personal favorites are Rise above, Damaged, Gimmie Gimmie Gimmie, and Depression. This is a must for any punk funs, or just people who like fast, brutal music in general.

ShoeLaces1997
    ^seconded. TV Party adds levity to the rest of the album. Plus it makes a good point: we are all zombies that stare at screens for hours on end.