Hangover Music, Vol. 6 review by Black Label Society

• Released: Apr 20, 2004
Black Label Society: Hangover Music, Vol. 6

I was absolutely shocked upon first listen to this album. Knowing Zakk Wylde I was sure that Hangover Music would be another heavy, loud and angry album (which he does very well by the way). Instead this album is full of piano and acoustic guitars with an electric guitar solo or riff here and there. It is a true testament to Wylde's songwriting capabilities as well as his versatility. If you want something heavy and aggresive, buy another BLS album, but this album is absolutely amazing. It is very relieving to see a guitarist so influential in the heavy metal world, change gears for a bit.

Now I've never been a huge fan of Zakk's vocals as I've always seen that as secondary to his guitar playing. However I was quite impressed with this album. The lyrics are thought-provoking and Zakk really gives each song his all in the vocal department.

This is a very different sound for Zakk Wylde and I'm quite pleased. You can always put in another album of his to raise some hell, but this is perhaps his most impressive work yet. Every song is great, but my favorites are "Won't Find It Here," "Queen Of Sorrow" and "House Of Doom." I already lost the album and re-purchased it, so I suppose that answers the question of whether or not I'd buy it again. I'd highly recommend this album to anyone. It will change your perceptions of Zakk Wylde for sure.

Zappanator
    I didnt really get into it first cause i bought Mafia before this and i expected a heavier album but now i love this album more than any other BLS album, this has to be one of my top 10 fave albums. My fave songs on here are Queen of Sorrow, Stepping Stone, and Once More. This album is a 10 for me