Shot To Hell review by Black Label Society

• Released: Sep 12, 2006
Black Label Society: Shot To Hell

I was very excited to hear the new album. I wasn't dissapointed. The sound is very Black Label Society. Exactly what you would expect from them. If you're a fan of BLS, definately check this out when it's released. Songs to look for to really get you going: Black Mass Reverends, Concrete Jungle, Blacked Out World, Give Yourself To Me, Hell Is High, Faith Is Blind, Devil's Dime, and New Religion really jams midway through. If you're looking for more of a softer BLS touch, look to tracks: The Last Goodbye, Nothing's The Same, Sick Of It All, Blood Is Thicker Than Water, and Lead Me To Your Door.

The lyrics are powerful and Zakk does such a good job of delivering the message across. Just like BLS, they deliever everytime. No matter the situation, Zakk always manages to pull through for the lyrics and guitar, John pumps out heavy rhythym on the bass, Nick is layin' down the rhythym guitar, and Craig slammin'on the skins.

This is another powerful album from Black Label Society. Although, I like Mafia personally. Nevertheless, this album thrashes, crashes, and just knocks the piss out of you. If you're a fan of BLS, Ozzy's stuff, or just damn good guitar playing, definately pick up this album when it hits stores.

68_SG
    i find it great sure they might not rock as hard as suicide messiah and those songs but i sure enjoy it i love his style so much its crazy i wish i could be as good someday
    68_SG
    release date sept. 12th??? wtf... we are the 12th and some torrents on the web has it since a few days woah!
    xxadamnxx
    zakk needs to realized that pinch parmonics arents a way of life. i counted in one tune 55 pinch harmonics, more than 30 of them on the 3rd fret of the e string. all his songs are sounding more and more alike. he needs to take time and just get his sh*t straight. 1919 eternal and sonic brew were great albums, but ever since he's had a serious lack of creativity and song writing skill.
    Stop Messin'
    Zakk and Jimmy Page should do an album like Book Of Shadows TOGETHER. 2 of the best acoustic players in rock.
    slaytanic666
    Shit man this album is gunna kick ass im not a fan of the whole piano thing..other then in this river i loved it cuz it was a tribute to dime..but the pinch harmonics are 1 of the 100000 reasons why hes soo good. Sure anyone can do it but doing that threw a wha like he shows on one of the dvd's its crazy zakk is amazing and having him doing alll the tricks he does makes him so good and i highly dought it will ever get old.
    Crazytrain_8201
    Whoever said that Zack and Page should do an album together, i totally agreed, but i'd add one of the best, Slash from Guns N Roses. Anyways, yeah, this album is pretty kick ass, it had been a while since i hadnt listened to some good BLS. Its a pretty good album. Peace
    Born 2 Slash
    I love this new CD. The best songs would have to be Concrete Jungle, Black Mass Reverends, and New Religion. I think it's nice to hear a different side of Zakk. I love Mafia and Blessed Hellride but it's cool if he changed it up this time. The solo's still kick ass. Can't wait to learn it on my guitar.
    ext_22
    wats wrong with piano in a rock song? ppl hu say that piano just dont fit in a rock song is just so ****ing shallow..it is still an instrument after all and music is all about flexibility and how a musician expresses himself or herself through the incorporation of various instruments in a song to make it sound cool.If all u wanna listen is the sound of a guitar den it is best if u listen to ppl like steve vai or yngwie malmsteen p/s: even some of their work has piano or keyboards
    Loomis-Amott
    Well despite what everyone says, I still love the cd. But switching gears here for a momeny, in the song New Religion, the first heavy riff, i know that riff is in a Tool song somewhere, with the last like two notes switched or something, its really bugging me, whats that tune called.
    Metal_Man666
    I don't know why people are bashing Mafia and Zakks piano playing on Shot to Hell..... Mafia has some amazing songs on it. Fire it Up is a rediculous song. Slow easy very straight forward beat. The guitar bass and drums are doing the same thing to make the sound very full and it attacks you. This all builds up until the solo which is one of his best. Suicide Messiah, forever down, spread your wings, and say what you will kick ass also. The fact that he has the balls to play piano on a metal album and make it sound incredible prove that he is only getting better as a musician. The album is typical BLS heavy metal/rock and roll. The piano only makes it better. Randy Rhoads played classical guitar and piano as well. Doesnt mean hes not metal. He's Randy fvcking`Rhoads he can do whatever he wants. Same with Zakk Wylde.
    TheWarlock724
    BleedBlack247 wrote: whats wrong with everyone wanting another acoustic album like book of shadows, its an ok cd but true zakk wylde fans wanna hear those drop d,b,a, that make you wanna smash your guitar against the heads of all the pussy emo music out there today Bleed Black Label...DRINK BEER!!!
    Dude, I respect you and all for being a fellow brother, but Zakk was all about ballads even in his Ozzy days. Mama I'm Comin Home? Road To Nowhere? I love everything Zakk does because he's a diverse artist with a major heavy side, but he thinks outside the box for his ballads. As for the pinch harmonics, who gives a shit how many of each harmonic he uses? If it fits, roll with it. Oh yeah, and Metal_Man666, very, very well said. I salute you.
    Dithindious
    Amazing album i personally think the piano adds another side to the music which is good. Seems like a lot of tributes to Dime *legend* although that might jus be me not that im complaining . Zakk is a guitar legend and hes not afraid to diversify his work through the introduction of new instruments. Brilliant album!
    Dithindious
    Soz for the double post but xxadamnxx you counted the pinch harmonics in a BLS song, you may as well count the number of notes bent in a Jimi Hendrix song it's what they use but it works ad sounds good so why not.
    curtis loew
    i think this goes up with mafia. everysong on this album i like. thats really rare for me. there is only one other album where i like all the songs
    Boooonnngggggg9
    I like the fact the Zakk does a bunch of albums with different sounds and effects, it shows his talent. Yea I like his heavy stuff, but it would get boring always listening to heavy BLS, because Zakk makes so many different sounding songs that can be easily told apart from other ones makes BLS ****ing awesome. I can feel like acoustic shit sometimes, then want heavy, maybe some soft, and ill get that all from Zakk's BLS. and dont forget his album with Ozzy coming next year. Thats gunna ****ing kick ass, Zakk wont go soft on Ozzy's album (I hope) SDMF
    Stop Messin'
    I love Zakk and BLS, but the whole drop-D/pinch harmonic thing gets old before the albums done. Zakk should do another album like Book Of Shadows.
    Trellis
    hmmm i was a huge fan of bls before, mafia was good but i heard black mass revenrand and concrete jungle and they are just boring, il probly just lend the album off a friend instead of buying it myself
    faqu
    Well, it's not Zakk's best, but it sure as hell better than the weak mafia. I really dig "Blood is thicker than water"! BTW, nick didnt play the guitar on this album. Nick never plays the guitar on BLS albums.
    tormentedbyu
    i knew it... i knew it... god damn it, i knew as soon as mafia came out that they'd start concentrating more and more on that god damned piano... *sigh* i mean... nothing wrong with piano.... but Zakk's best w/ a guitar..... just can't hardly imagine him playing anything but that *shrug* am i prejudiced against pianos? lol eh, w/e... ill give it a chance anyway *shrug*
    backtothe70s
    I listen to it now... New Religion right now. Im not the person who likes metal really but I I did this would be really nice i guess. the ballad are beautiful
    Goon71
    TheWarlock724
    Only problem I had with the album is the mixing. Vocals seem to overpower the instrumentals a bit too much... makes the heavy riffs sound lighter...
    TheWarlock724
    Stop Messin' wrote: Zakk should do another album like Book Of Shadows.
    My thoughts exactly, or even pride and glory... sorry for the double post!
    westernfilet
    Zakk should take a long break and come back with something that sounds original! I love the guy, but his last two CDs blow!
    Dimebagjeff
    the reason i love zakk is for his pinch harmonics and gritty hardcore guitar playing i couldnt imagine him without that....and this album definately isnt what i thought it was gonna be but it is zakk wylde so i still love it.... SDMF!!!
    goon316
    Goon71 wrote: Zakk Wylde needs to stick with writing and playing guitar, obviously carrying an entire band isn't working. Much like Steve Vai (Ever listen to "Flex-Able", painful at times isn't it?) when left to his own devices the results can be less-than. Sometimes too much freedom/control is bad. "No More Tears" is one of the greatest rocks songs ever but Zakk's personal work pales in comparison. Hey at least it's rock.
    Most works pale in comparison to No More Tears, that is one of the best rock albums of all time IMO. I do Agree he should do another book of shadows cd, thats has some great tunes on it.
    BleedBlack247
    MaAal_MaAan
    Good call mate, I think he needs to do another song like Genocide Junkies, that song just blew me away when i heard it. Demise of Sanity was pretty kool 2, but the solo was WAY too short i reckon. I also think he should let Nick play the guitar on an album too. And maybe even write sum stuff.
    FenixSDMF
    If you want book of shadows or hang over music then listen to those albums... People change and so does their music. Personally I don't like this album all that much. respect for putting it out there but hey, I don't care for it. It kinda all melds into two song styles. but that's my opinion. if you loved it that's cool. hopefully he'll change styles again....