Shot To Hell review by Black Label Society

• Released: Sep 12, 2006
Black Label Society: Shot To Hell

This album is another masterpiece from Zakk Wylde. With a nice mix of light, mellow songs with blistering solos and hard-rock crunchers like "Devil's Dime" and "Concrete Jungle", the album "Shot To Hell" should satisfy all of BLS's most die-hard fans. My favorite songs on the album are "Concrete Jungle", "Devil's Dime", and "Lead Me To Your Door".

Zakk Wylde is known for his aggressive, and yet sometimes soulful lyrics. This album is no different. Songs like "Concrete Jungle", "Black Mass Reverends", "Devil's Dime", and "Blood Is Thicker than Water" call for menacing lyrics with a powerful approach to the vocal melodies. On the other hand, there are some great ballads on the album that let Zakk show off his skills and an amazing paino player and lets him show off an under-rated voice in the world of rock 'n' roll.

Compared to albums like "Mafia" and "The Blessed Hellride", this album will give fans a whole new base of songs to love. "Shot To Hell" retains BLS's heavy metal sound yet still gives them an edge will powerful ballads like "Lead Me To Your Door". I loved this album, and I'm sure every other BLS fan will.

urassisgrass
    TheWarlock724 wrote: BleedBlack247 wrote: whats wrong with everyone wanting another acoustic album like book of shadows, its an ok cd but true zakk wylde fans wanna hear those drop d,b,a, that make you wanna smash your guitar against the heads of all the pussy emo music out there today Bleed Black Label...DRINK BEER!!! Dude, I respect you and all for being a fellow brother, but Zakk was all about ballads even in his Ozzy days. Mama I'm Comin Home? Road To Nowhere? I love everything Zakk does because he's a diverse artist with a major heavy side, but he thinks outside the box for his ballads. As for the pinch harmonics, who gives a shit how many of each harmonic he uses? If it fits, roll with it. Oh yeah, and Metal_Man666, very, very well said. I salute you.
    yes, zakk has wrote some kick a$$ ballads in his day. But the difference isthat the ozzy ballads and In This River were all sweet as fuk and totally original. They grabbed your attention just as much as the harder songs. The ballads on shot to hell are nothing more than ordinary. Ive listened to Shot to Hell front to back over 10 times and still get the many balads confused with eachother. with that said....Zakk is still my favorite artist today and he kicks ass
    distilledspirit
    tormentedbyu wrote: i knew it... i knew it... god damn it, i knew as soon as mafia came out that they'd start concentrating more and more on that god damned piano... *sigh* i mean... nothing wrong with piano.... but Zakk's best w/ a guitar..... just can't hardly imagine him playing anything but that *shrug* am i prejudiced against pianos? lol eh, w/e... ill give it a chance anyway *shrug*
    I've seen Zakk live with the keys...he ****in rips.
    CHAINSX
    fear no beer
    a lot of people here seem to be dissin zakk wylde but do you think you could fill his shoes n do better ?
    fear no beer
    i thought this album was weaker than all the previous bls albums and to be honest i hardly listen to it,not cos its that bad jus cos theres a lot better,id rather listen to this album then fvcking avenged sevenfold or sum stupid shi t like that zakks the fvckin man SDMF London Chapter
    British Patriot
    CHAINSX wrote: FUCK. THE TALKBOX USED IN CONCRETE JUNGLE IS A FUCKIN RIP OFF OF ALICE IN CHAINS "ROTTEN APPLE". FUCKIN ZAKK, STUPID ASS DRUNK OZZY WANNABE. BLS IS OUT OF THEIR FUCKIN ELEMENT.
    BullShit. For a start THERE IS NO TALKBOX in Concrete Jungle. 2 - It does not sound like Rotten Apple by Alice In Chains! 3 - You just dissed Zakk Wylde. CHAINSX + Dissing Zakk Wylde = Complete TWAT SDMF
    jfsj123
    The guy who said what the nuns for on the cover of the album because it's mentioned in the lyrics for 'concrete jungle'. awesome tune btw
    Nightstrider
    Zakk needs to put a little more effort in than this. I mean, come on, every track on this CD really just takes ONE RIFF and drives it right into the ground. Some of them work out all right (Concrete Jungle, New Religion, a couple others) but most of them just bore me. As for the dime-a-dozen ballads, well, none of them can hold a candle to the mastery of "Rust".
    WarCreekMafia
    I think Shot to Hell is a pretty good album. Maybe not on the level of Mafia or 1919 Eternal, but still a good album in it's own right. Yeah, there's more ballads on this one than there are on other BLS albums, but no one does the power ballad better than Zakk. and for those of you who wanna hear 1919 or blessed hellride for every album he does.....ger the fvck over it. You can't be a true musician if your putting out the same album everytime you go into the studio. That's the whole point is that the album needs to be different than the last one you did. It needs to have your sound, yes, but they all need to be different albums in their own right. Kudos to Zakk for putting out another great album. PS British Patriot.....There IS talkbox in the intro to Concrete Jungle.....
    Rev2Ten
    I think it's too over produced. just...ugh. it sounds like he's just looking for hits or something. dont get me wrong, I LOVE Zakk Wylde's stuff, but his guitar sound on this album i think is lacking some balls. and i think the stacked vocals get old. Devil's dime in my opinion, is really the only good "rock" song on the album. The sound on this thing just isn't as powerful in my opinion. dig the ballads, but just not enough power in the overall sound.
    Glam-Hammer
    CHAINSX : FUCK. THE TALKBOX USED IN CONCRETE JUNGLE IS A FUCKIN RIP OFF OF ALICE IN CHAINS "ROTTEN APPLE". FUCKIN ZAKK, STUPID ASS DRUNK OZZY WANNABE. BLS IS OUT OF THEIR FUCKIN ELEMENT.
    Bahahahahaha. OH SHIT WAIIIT?! Can't another guy use an instrument? wait no, sorry because this guy will get pissy. This album is ****ing briliant.