Stronger Than Death review by Black Label Society

• Released: Apr 18, 2000
Black Label Society: Stronger Than Death

When I first picked up this CD I thought it would contain something angry, filled with angst, agression, and pain. It did. This CD is amazing. There is so much pure strength within the album as a whole, not just a few songs. Pure insanity is a pretty good way to describe songs like "13 Years of Grief", "Phoney Smiles & Fake Hellos", and "Stronger Than Death". This is an album that shows Wylde's versatility like in the songs "Just Killing Time" and "Counterfeit God."

Every person has a favorite performer or band. Mine are Zakk Wylde and BLS. You may think that there is some Satanic act because of song titles like "Counterfeit God" or "Stronger Than Death". They're not, but they do rock. Every song tells a story. Zakk is also versitile when it comes to singing different pitches, and styles. There is even a guest on the "Stronger Than Death" track. Mike Piazza, the baseball player, provides growls to kick off the drums. There may be some 'Colorful Language' used in some of these songs, but they are raw emotion, so I deem it acceptable.

This is an album worth comparing if you want to stomp out the competition. The most impressive songs on the album are "13 Years of Grief", "Counterfeit God", "Rust", and even "Just Killing Time". it's amazing that Zakk can have strength with softness at the same time like on the last track "Love Reign Down". I particularly love the way it pumps me up, whether I'm driving or a little P Oed. The squeals: definition. The solos: faster than lightning. The sound: Indescribable. If I lost this, I'd go out right away to get it.

Peace Sells
    Zakk Wlyde is a guitar genius. The lyrics are brilliant and the guitar is savage.