The Blessed Hellride review by Black Label Society

• Released: Apr 22, 2003
Black Label Society: The Blessed Hellride

From start to finish, this album is a relentless attack to the ears! Fortunatley if you're a metal fan, you will love this attack. I can't really compare BLS to any other band, they have their own sound. If you like metallica or pantera you will love BLS's blessed hellride. Even though Wylde is more known for his virtuoso guitar soloing, he also writes some sweet guitar riffs, ex. are shown in his pig squealing "Stillborn" and his hard driving "Funeral Bells". Guitars aside he is also an excellent raw singer. His range can go high pitched(and at times almost sounding like bandmate Ozzy Osbourne) to a low raspy voice similar to james hetfield.

If I were just reading the lyrics on a piece of paper, than I wouldn't really think too much of them, but hearing them in the songs, they sound "perfect". Zakk Wylde is no Bob Dyaln, he's not known for his lyrics, he's known for being one of the greatest guitarists. Overall the lyrics do seem fairly deep and personnal, a lot of his songs have to do with getting boozed up, death and destruction. Don't let this discourage you from buying the album, this band is not some death metal band that just screams at the top of their lungs and pound their instruments as fast as possible. These songs were thoughtfully written and well-crafted.

This album is filled with excellent songs. My personnal favourites are "We live no more" a rare, but good ballad by the band "Funeral Bells" an awesome pouding riff which is complimented with an excellent guitar solo; and of cousre the hit off the album "Stillborn". I love everything about this album, this is the album that introduced me to the band. I honestly was a bit hesitant about buying the album, I was expecting some death metal band obssesed with pounding their instruments and writing demonic satanist songs. I bought the album thinking of Zakk's contribution to Ozzy Osbourne. He wrote excellent songs with the godfather of metal, I figured I should see what his solo work sounds like and I'm sure glad I did it. I bought with low expectations, and now have high ones for the next album. The Blessed Hellride is a true Heavy Metal album!