The Blessed Hellride review by Black Label Society

• Released: Apr 22, 2003
Black Label Society: The Blessed Hellride

Oh man, what a wicked album! This would have to be the best effort that BLS has put out to date in my honest opinion. All the songs are just amazing from beginning to end. A really brutal, hard-hitting feel at times, as well as a few softer, more laid-back ones at others for a good measure. Zakk's vocals are the heaviest I've ever heard, as well as some of his leads & riffs which are so much more extravagant than most of his earlier works. If there's another album more appropriately titled than this one, I'd sure like to find it because this one truly is "The Blessed Hellride" (and not really for the faint of heart for the most part)!

Like I said, Zakk is at his most brutal on this album, and that really stems from the lyrics & vocals in this one. Songs like the opening track, "Stoned & Drunk", the chorus part for "Doomsday Jesus" and the ending of the interlude in "Suffering Overdue" are really belted out with a certain quality that can send chills down your spine, and really get you worked up and in a hell-rasing mood! And then there are those softer moments that still have a dark/gloomy & almost depressing feel to them. Songs like "Blackened Waters" and the final track, "Dead Meadow" can be difficult to listen to at times. Lyrics that go "We all drowned in Blackened Waters" or even "Nothing lives, nothing grows in the dead meadow" etc. are probably most easily listened in conjunction with the album as a whole; which really makes it seem that much more amazing.

I can very easily say that this is my favourite BLS album, and I'm including works up until very recently such as "Mafia" and even 2006's "Shot To Hell." This is the most brutal BLS album yet, and will probably remain to be so for years to come. My favourite tunes are "Blackened Waters", "Suffering Overdue", "Stoned & Drunk", "Doomsday Jesus", and "Destruction Overdrive". But really, the whole album is incredible, any Zakk Wylde or BLS fan must have this one! The only problem I really have with this album is the fact that it's like 40 minutes long or so. But then again, that just leaves it with less room for filler material. The bottom line: I would very easily replace this album if it were lost/stolen etc. It's just too damn good in my opinion. In fact, one of my favourite albums of all time!