The European Invasion - Doom Troopin' Live (2006) [DVD] review by Black Label Society

• Released: Aug 22, 2006
  • Content: 8
  • Production Quality: 9
Black Label Society: The European Invasion - Doom Troopin' Live (2006) [DVD]

The music is true-blue BLS with focus on later albums like Mafia and The Blessed Hellride. I don't know if it was 'cause they were in Europe or what but the band really went all out for this show, each one sounding as good as, or better, than the original and some songs taking much longer due to extended jams/solos. The sound as a result was crucial, and it delivered for the most part, even with a little background noise: even on a little portable DVD player I could appreciate every aspect of the band form the guitar and bass to the drums. Overall, a definite buy for a Black Label fan.

Content — 8
Well the concert itself, as I said, feature songs mostly from Mafia and The Blessed Hellride. I would have liked to see some more 1919 Eternal on there, but I can't complain: the set-list still rocked hard. In addition, Zakk takes on a little acoustic session on stage which quiets down the place while still kicking ass. Aside from the concert itself, there is a second CD featuring some songs from other locations of Europe and a behind-the-scenes look at the band and their tour. Again, a fan-favourite for Black Label fan.

Production Quality — 9
This is where I was most pleased with this DVD. I have Boozed, Bruised and Broken-boned as well and the production on this DVD by far surpasses it's predecessor. Zakk's voice and lyrics are not only legible but remarkably clear; the guitars still growl yet are not distracting, the solos are clear and spot on, the drums deliver as they should and the base is there whenever you need it. The producers also worked with different visual effects and styles (coloring, angles, distortion effects, etc.) that, albeit, both added and sometimes took away from the concert: simply put, effects are great when used well and when used with subtleness, but sometimes they were somewhat over done. Overall, if I could give simply the sound production a score itself, I'd give it a 10, and if I could give the video production itself a score, probably a 7 or 8. As a result, I'll give it the score you see.

Overall, I think this is a worthwhile buy if you dig what BLS and Zakk do. The sound quality is great, it makes for an entertaining watch, and you get to hear some killer music as well. I would put it far ahead of Boozed, Bruised and Broken-boned so if you're a fan of that one, pick this up. If it were lost, I'd definitely pick myself up another copy and if it were stolen, I would make sure to track down the culprit, bring him to justice and then make him pick me up another copy.

chiliwillifreak
    Yeah, nicely put review. I like this DVD alot. The performance is solid and sounds great. Although the guitars sound out of tune for the alternate version of Genocide Junkies, the DVD sports some very good footage and funny behaviour from the band and fans. Although, I prefer the setlist on BB n' B-B... but a great buy nonetheless.
    bls4life8
    if ur a bls fan or not i recommend you buy this dvd its awesome zakk wylde=best guitar ever
    JanB
    totally getting this... i liked boozed bruised and broken boned and i lookd at the set list and fire it up is on there and thats my morning song i would have liked to see forever down (just for the solo) and queen of sorrow live...but lets keep hoping for more BLS DVDs
    The Kinzo
    March 22nd, 2007. Club Zoo, Pittsburgh Pennsylvania. I touched zakk wylde on that date and place. Ive grown up listening to Zakk Wylde. All of the hits with ozzy, then around 14 I got a guitar, and became obsessed with Randy Rhoads. To this day Randy is number 1 and he will never fall short of that number. And Zakk Wylde is my second favorite. And since Randy Rhoads died (Rest In Piece) Zakk Wylde is the closest thing that I will ever get to fufilling my guitarist wishlist, And I ****ing touched him... Zakk Wylde, and BLS will live forever.
    The Kinzo
    but yeah, great dvd, my friend has it and i want to borrow it from him again...
    The Kinzo
    bls4life8 wrote: when zakk did that acoustic tour zakk grabbed my hand and i got a pick from zakk and he called me his black label son it was freakin awesome
    Thats ****in amazing
    DaveGilmour1189
    In this river on this video kicks so much ass. Extended 13 minutes long. His own ****ing freebird
    Swamplord
    I saw him tour, shook his hand at a prior signing in which the whole band signed my shot to hell album. Then later on at the concert he played the friggin piano for in this river which kicked ass! The DVD is awesome too, and I'm real ****en jealous that some random dude got to squeal on Zakk's Axe right at the end. Good DVD!
    bls4life8
    when zakk throws in thoses heads and the cab i would like kill someone for one
    philster65
    some aspects of the video were not the best but overall i loved the music and the bit where the guy got on stage and played was cool...