Cruel Melody review by Black Light Burns

• Released: Jun 5, 2007
Black Light Burns: Cruel Melody

So this is my first revision here, and I'd like to comment Cruel Melody form different view. I'm a Wes Borland's fan, anyway, here goes review. First, after seeing cover, I thought 'ouch, that's gonna be some black metal, cool' and with this feeling I thrown CD into player. And then my jaw felt on ground. It was something totally different. Technically prefect progressive rock, with a lot of guitar tricks. This is an interesting mix of styles. There isnt much I can tell about, becasue it's impossible to describe music, you have to listen to it.

All reviews are saying that lyrics aren't good. They are wrong, because to understand them you have to know real Wes' Borlands story. Once you know it, you'll know meaning of "I'm making sure that I believe; I'm doing what I must" or "These animals, they operate; On jealousy and lust; I'm taking back what was lost; And I will not be denied; I'm crawling my way to the surface outside." Altough Wes Borland singer skills sucked in 1999 (look on youtube for Wes Borland Master Of Puppets) now he's a good vocalist, but I'd like to see him live. He knows how to sing and his voice is really, really cool. If Iron Maiden vocalist would have a voice like Wes, they would be the best band in the universe. Wes' voice adds a loot of mood to songs, it's really cool. And he know how to change the tone or pitch with the lyrics meaning and so changes the music. But I get an overall feeling that whole CDs lyrics are effect of Wes' anger and/or sadness. it's good, they're expressive and moody. I like them.

I can't compare it to other album, it's not 100% Wes' style, but you have to note other players form the band, they also addes style to the music. And these are very good musicians, coming from Nine Inch Nails and A Perfect Circle. The coolest one is Lie, it's a real rocker but I can't get 'Cruel Melody' out of my mind, it's still there and it rigns there and really, I don't want it to stop. it's soooo melodic and moody. Also, the Iodine Sky impressed me. I was totally shocked. The guitar effects in it are awesome. It's very inspirating. And the last point from review guide, if it was stolen I wouldn buy it again. I'd buy Black Light Burns DVD. I think this CD is worth buying it.

wik3dspid3r
    This album rocks and is deff one of the best of the year. Wes shows us how much Limp was holding back and what kinda of talent he has a muscian. Laying more than just a few power chords down for some whiny,nasaly,egotistical,midget to scream and rap over.
    PaperStSoapCo
    Great album, one of my favs. Wes was the only good part of Limp Bitchkit and I'm very happy to see him back in the game. He's defiantly one of my biggest influences, right after Adam Jones (Tool). I've had this cd since... maybe a week or two after it came out. And that's after downloading all the songs. I just liked it so much I went out and bought the real thing. I'm also heavily anticipating BLB's next release. It's a cover album (about 7 or 8 covers, I think) with a few B-side releases from Cruel Melody. Now, if that isn't cool enough, they are also tossing in a DVD with a pant-load of content; live performances, behind the scenes, etc... a bunch of stuff. Check out the blogs on the BLB myspace for all the info. I think they are about half way through recording the covers. I can't wait.
    JD Blue Venom
    LiquidPark13 wrote: RHCP603 wrote: Wes Borland is in my opinion probably one of the most underrated guitarist of my generation. He's an absolutely amazing player, and it's disapointing that he doesn't get the credit he deserves. My ge-ge-generation! Haha.
    LOL!
    orgasmickey
    wes effed his career right up imo. I really dislike this album and I'm a wes fanboy. his guitar playing is fine its pretty standard wes but the lyrics are awful and his voice is pretty much just reznor-esque which he doesn't pull of well at all.