In The Future review by Black Mountain

• Released: Jan 22, 2008
Black Mountain: In The Future

Okay, the last review was a little off subject but I promise you will not be dissapointed this time round. Well, I definetly wasn't. This album is amazing. As my regular readers may be aware, I compare the band I'm reviewing to another well known band. Well, this time is no exception, except, it is. This band has large chunks of indie which is obvious, but, they sound like Led Zepplin in the brilliant track Stormy high, with ourageously perfect riffs, smartly constructed drumming and a stunning synthesizer effect mixed together with vibrant colourful lyrics to make the best music filled fruitcake on god's green earth. The organ effect that weaves it's way into the large instrumental part is superb! In fact so good, it's reminiscent of The Doors Peace frogs, or even Riders of the storm. Their music can be somewhat haunting for example, Tyrants has an echoey sort of sound but really gets into the music halfway with a booming catchy riff behind a ripping solo on the drums then again followed by a small but easily heard solo. During Queens Will Play the vocals sound a bit like a more sharp version of Leslie Feist which could have actually made an appearance to which I'm not entirely sure about and apologize if she did, but again the whole song being quite haunting. Once again their riff is excellent. Honestly the album is so good I have to keep checking in my thesaraus for different forms of excellent. Outstanding! There's another one. Well the affinity towards The Doors really does show in the riffs and again the organ styling in Evil Ways yet also the wonderful correspondence of a sort of Rob Plant singing style has also been incorporated into it. This album is cooler than a freezer, More cleverly devised than a Rubiks Cube and as independant as Andy Warhol. An alternative/indie masterpiece.

Nothing bad to say, compliments towards the clever stylings of Steve Mcbeen's rhapsodical writings. I enjoyed this album too much to put it down in any way shape or form. The mighty sounds of Evil ways and Stormy high are way too good to put into words, well actually they're not since they did it perfectly, however there might be a few crummy words but this is Indie and as I normally poke at silly names or words, forget it, this album has changed my old (Judge-Book-By-Its-Cover) Persona. Whoever listens to a lot of indie and occasionaly listens to a bit of Queen or The Stones, will be suprised yet eager to hear more of this overly addictive, not snooty, NOT from brighton five-some. Well I was and look what I've ended up doing. A review on the site that the proportion of indie folk look around on for inspiration. I hope you finish reading this review, and buy the album as it is absolutely compelling, and that's not the thesaurus speaking.

Magnifico. Buy it please! If I have to open my window and shout down to everyone on my street to buy it I will, this album will be in my memory for weeks if not months. If you have just skipped the top 2 reviewing sections then I seriously breathe caution. You need to know that what you are buying is serious experimantal indie rock, and that it has the Indie Priest's mark of satisfaction as this album is a blinder. I compare the riffs to any respectable indie band, the vocals to Led Zepplin's Robert Plant, the synth work to The Doors and of course the drumming to Andy Anderson of the Cure. This stuff is gold, a whole 24 carats of audastic genius. Thanks for reading, you know what to do.

Nexu
    Its a good album, just Bright Lights drags on too long!
    Dragon Master
    This album is perfectly crafted alternative rock that definitely shows the revivalism in underground music for GOOD MUSIC. Good music is still around, but you just need to look hard.