In The Future Review

Black Mountain: In The Future
Release Date: Jan 22, 2008
Label: Jagjaguwar
Genres: Neo-Prog, Prog-Rock/Art Rock, Indie Rock, Neo-Psychedelia, Space Rock
It's packed with stuff, but there's enough space here, and wonderfully warm atmospheres, to bring the listener right into the deeper sonic dimensions that Black Mountain is trying to create
 9.6
 9.4
 9.7
In The Future Reviewed by: alxtheexpert, on january 30, 2008

Sound: Okay, the last review was a little off subject but I promise you will not be dissapointed this time round. Well, I definetly wasn't. This album is amazing. As my regular readers may be aware, I compare the band I'm reviewing to another well known band. Well, this time is no exception, except, it is. This band has large chunks of indie which is obvious, but, they sound like Led Zepplin in the brilliant track Stormy high, with ourageously perfect riffs, smartly constructed drumming and a stunning synthesizer effect mixed together with vibrant colourful lyrics to make the best music filled fruitcake on god's green earth. The organ effect that weaves it's way into the large instrumental part is superb! In fact so good, it's reminiscent of The Doors Peace frogs, or even Riders of the storm. Their music can be somewhat haunting for example, Tyrants has an echoey sort of sound but really gets into the music halfway with a booming catchy riff behind a ripping solo on the drums then again followed by a small but easily heard solo. During Queens Will Play the vocals sound a bit like a more sharp version of Leslie Feist which could have actually made an appearance to which I'm not entirely sure about and apologize if she did, but again the whole song being quite haunting. Once again their riff is excellent. Honestly the album is so good I have to keep checking in my thesaraus for different forms of excellent. Outstanding! There's another one. Well the affinity towards The Doors really does show in the riffs and again the organ styling in Evil Ways yet also the wonderful correspondence of a sort of Rob Plant singing style has also been incorporated into it. This album is cooler than a freezer, More cleverly devised than a Rubiks Cube and as independant as Andy Warhol. An alternative/indie masterpiece. // 10

Lyrics: Nothing bad to say, compliments towards the clever stylings of Steve Mcbeen's rhapsodical writings. I enjoyed this album too much to put it down in any way shape or form. The mighty sounds of Evil ways and Stormy high are way too good to put into words, well actually they're not since they did it perfectly, however there might be a few crummy words but this is Indie and as I normally poke at silly names or words, forget it, this album has changed my old (Judge-Book-By-Its-Cover) Persona. Whoever listens to a lot of indie and occasionaly listens to a bit of Queen or The Stones, will be suprised yet eager to hear more of this overly addictive, not snooty, NOT from brighton five-some. Well I was and look what I've ended up doing. A review on the site that the proportion of indie folk look around on for inspiration. I hope you finish reading this review, and buy the album as it is absolutely compelling, and that's not the thesaurus speaking. // 10

Overall Impression: Magnifico. Buy it please! If I have to open my window and shout down to everyone on my street to buy it I will, this album will be in my memory for weeks if not months. If you have just skipped the top 2 reviewing sections then I seriously breathe caution. You need to know that what you are buying is serious experimantal indie rock, and that it has the Indie Priest's mark of satisfaction as this album is a blinder. I compare the riffs to any respectable indie band, the vocals to Led Zepplin's Robert Plant, the synth work to The Doors and of course the drumming to Andy Anderson of the Cure. This stuff is gold, a whole 24 carats of audastic genius. Thanks for reading, you know what to do. // 10

In The Future Reviewed by: Dragon Master, on august 18, 2008

Sound: Black Mountain are a band that follows in the footsteps of Wolfmother, although with a more diverse fervor. The songs are much less bound to their influences and they are much easier to swallow. If anything, they hearken back to Led Zeppelin, Black Sabbath, and Neil Young, as if the Flaming Lips covered them. Lyrically and musically, it is a CD of its own that showcases a band that has evolved from the art rock band that debuted in 2005. Their Velvet Underground influences still surface. Songs from the last album, such as "Don't Run Our Hearts Around", "Druganaut", and "Modern Music" have been scrapped for epic songs that are musically much more evolved. The songs are better than before. Truly a left-of-field classic, something bigger than Wolfmother's radio-worthy sound. What Wolfmother focused on was being a live band. However, Black Mountain is truly an album-essential band. This collective led by Amber Webber and Stephen McBean on vocals is truly something to reckon with. // 9

Lyrics: 01. Stormy High - a powerful song that conveys their influences well. It is a track that has a great, militaristic riff to open up with. It has great drumming and, throughout this album, there are no guitar solos. However, there seems to be a greater interest in songwriting. 02. Angels - a song that has the Velvet Underground influence of the first album, almost as if the Flaming Lips were singing for "Transmissions from the Satellite Heart." This song is also a very simple one to learn. It is a very dreamy song. 03. Tyrant - the riff shares similarity to Stormy High, but the song is an attempt to create an epic rhapsody, almost akin to prog rock. It is a prog rock song, in that it has less of the eerie songwriting one would find on the album. However, the song has very exciting parts to it. 04. Wucan - an eerie track that the lead singer says is influenced by ancient Purgatory rituals that tribal cultures used to initiate. The song is very eerie and has riffs akin to the earlier tracks. 05. Stay Free - very Neil Young-inspired music, musically. It's an acoustic guitar track and is a very good song. It is very nice to listen to and is relaxing. 06. Queens Will Play - again, powerful music with almost Sinead O'Connor-esque vocals. It is a very eerie track that has a creeping bassline. The song has only one moment that resembles a guitar solo. However, it has a great tone. 07. Evil Ways - the song has a Carlos Santana vibe and sort of sounds like Tom Petty, at one point. It seems very rooted in witchcraft and has very distinct organ work. It is a standout song, because it has more energy than most of the other rock-based numbers. 08. Wild Wind - a short song that seems to fit very well with the rest of the songs. Lyrically, it is a simple song that doesn't need to rely on much, except for simple writing. It seems to be an ultimatum, lyrically, about "Riding the wild wind", or, "Fighting the demons at your door." 09. Bright Lights - again, another attempt at being epic that seems to drone very long. This number has gained great notoriety for it's length, but the song is good. It continually builds up to a destructive, powerful song like Black Sabbath and Deep Purple, somewhat better than Wolfmother's attempts. It doesn't make sense, 'til much later in the song. It's almost like crawling up stairs, only to reach a firey climax. It's about war and fire, almost like Black Sabbath wrote of. 10. Night Walks - another song like "Queens Will Play" that maintains the same melody throughout, but is short and sweet. A perfect closer to the album, musically. // 8

Overall Impression: The band Black Mountain arrived with a debut effort in 2005 that arrived well before Wolfmother. Having a distinct sound, then, it became more accessible and musically more talented. The songs they originally wrote had that vibe, but this is the better album. Being associated with bands such as Priestess, Wolfmother, and others, this band made itself more prominent, with its most recent release. They recorded "Stay Free" for the Spiderman 3 soundtrack, which was produced by Dave Sardy(Jet, Oasis, Wolfmother.) This album was a commercial breakthrough and a much more distinct effort. Stephen McBean, the lead singer of Black Mountain, has another band that accomplishes what was intended on Black Mountain's first album much better. The members of Black Mountain have other bands that branch through the same label. This band is faraway from the sound that Wolfmother perfected, having much more complex songwriting and more powerful songs. They have a perfect balance of studio power and are also a live band to be seen. They are not like Wolfmother, who solely rely on live shows, but are also easily forgettable. In the end, Black Mountain is an indie rock classic that has broken through. "Tyrant", "Stay Free", and "Angels" are all great songs that should be recommended for others. Their attempts at being epic do not bode well, but it makes for interesting banter, on this album by Black Mountain. // 9

Comments