Take Them On, On Your Own review by Black Rebel Motorcycle Club

• Released: Sep 2, 2003
Black Rebel Motorcycle Club: Take Them On, On Your Own

The second offering from this amazing band sounds like a mix of a gloomy day and chillin with good friends. Very indie/grunge/rock n roll but also a influence of blues put in the album. Defintely quite rare sound. B.R.M.C once again have used the instruments to the full on this superb album with thumping drums and catchy, groovy basslines and sonic guitar sounds. It really is a gift that the bass and guitar mix so well and that the drums provide a decent backing for more of the rocking tracks such as "Six Barrel Shotgun". The whole album has a variety of sounds going from the catchy "Were all in love" to the groovy chilled sound to "Stop" then going to a bluesy low sound of "a shade of blue" to even an acoustic track "And I'm aching".

The lyrics really show a unique side to B.R.M.C going to moody depressing to uplifting, upbeat lines. Going to quite manic, cool lines like "you lose your tongue but you know you'll never need it, hush your head I don't wanna remind you, you held my hand when I couldn't take the pressure, save yourself 'cause I need some simulation baby" show fast lyrics to good, fast behind it. Another song which I stands out lyric wise is the grieving, lone feel of "And I'm aching" with lines such as "I can't wait for long I'm sorry, all I have left has left me gone. I can't stay for long I'm sorry, all that's left has kept me strong" suit the acoustic track perfectly.

This is a impressive album and stands out from the last self titled album pushing it to more expermintal areas of music and a lot of reflective lyrics. This band is something quite unique to other indie rock bands out there today and can't really compare it unless maybe a sound like Pink Floyd (so you know it's good). I love the whole sound of the album going from rocking guitar riffs and groovy basslines to some mellow slower tracks and then to gloomy songs of sorrow. There is nothing I do not like about this album, honest. I would definitely go buy this album again if it was stolen. This a truly a magnificent album in all aspects and I highly recommend it to anyone who has a likeness to rocking, dark, mellow albums all put into one.