13 review by Black Sabbath

• Released: Jun 10, 2013
  • Reviewer's score: 5.7 Decent
Black Sabbath: 13

Ozzy's unique voice is as vibrant as ever. Geezer and Iommi still have what it takes to produce a really heavy album. The overall album definitely has the Sabbath vibe that we have come to know and love, however I feel that the bass was drowned out a bit too much when the album was mastered. The style of drumming is entirely different than that of Bill Ward and it is entirely noticeable with just one listen. There is very little feedback from the instruments used. The drums are a little over powering and if turned up all the way, you may risk blowing a speaker from the clipping hits of the snare.

The lyrics come off as not genuine. Almost like they were forced for the sake of having a finished product. They do still keep that heavy dark overtone, but they are by no means on the same level as what Sabbath has previously produced. Musically, the lyrics match up perfect with the chord progressions, which may be why I have a problem with it. They almost seem artificially generated. I find that I cannot personally relate with the songs as I could with previous albums such as "Paranoid." I am and always have been a huge fan of Sabbath, but for the purpose of trying to provide as honest feedback as possible for others, I would rate the lyrics a 4 overall.

The album is easily comparable to other Sabbath albums, but I am not entirely sure that this is a good thing from my perspective. I do love Ozzy Osbourne's iconic voice and Iommi's catchy rifts. The lack of bass from Geezer is disconcerting to say the least. The bass is there, but it is not properly utilized in the structure of the song resulting in a less than dynamic sound. There is not a particular song that stands out to me that I would catch myself singing throughout the day. That being said, if I was to lose the album I probably would not buy it again.