13 review by Black Sabbath

• Released: Jun 10, 2013
  • Reviewer's score: 7 Good
Black Sabbath: 13

For the first time in 18 years Black Sabbath is releasing a full length studio release, and with Ozzy on vocals for the first time in 36 years. Black Sabbath has already cemented themselves in music history as the band that created doom/sludge metal. This was ultimately the result of an engineering accident where Tony Iommi's fingers were injured and he began to down-tune his guitar and use prosthetic fingertips in order to play. This approach on guitar, and the band's original interest in riff-driven blues of the time lent itself well to a heavier sound. After seeing the line outside the theater to see the movie "Black Sabbath," they took the name for themselves and began to focus on darker lyrical subjects. From here they went on to release classic hits such as "Iron Man," "Paranoid," "N.I.B.," "Sweet Leaf," and "War Pigs," to name just a few. As listeners we all can judge the merit of "13" for ourselves, but the band doesn't really have anything left to prove. There was a false-start reunion of Black Sabbath in 2001, which fell apart as Ozzy put it on hold to continue work on a solo album. There have also been a few reunion concerts here and there, but they failed to produce a full-fledged reunion. Oddly enough, while the album is titled "13," it is the 19th studio album released by Black Sabbath. "13" will be the first album of new material written and recorded by Black Sabbath with Ozzy on vocals since before most of our readers were born. Initially, the reunion and album were to include the original 4 members in 2011. The project was once again delayed, though only briefly, by Tony Iommi's diagnosis of lymphoma. Bill Ward attempted some last minute legal negotiation on his contract, but instead he was nixed from the reunion. This was at least in part due to Tony Iommi's desire to finish the album quickly (according to multiple interviews) as he didn't know how he would react to his cancer treatment. Bill Ward was replaced by Brad Wilk, the drummer from Rage Against The Machine and Audioslave. The recording process had to be scheduled around Iommi's cancer treatments causing further delays. They completed recording the album and announced the album title as "13" in January 2013, and from there the mixing process began. The standard edition of "13" includes 8 tracks and clocks in at approximately 54 minutes, while the deluxe edition has 3 additional tracks and clocks in at 69 minutes. Most tracks on the album range from 4 1/2 minutes long to a little over 8 minutes, with the bonus track "Peace of Mind" the only track under 4 minutes. The first single from the album, "God is Dead?" was released in mid-April to mixed reactions from the online community of fans. The second single, "End of the Beginning," debuted on the television crime drama "CSI" in early June just a week before the album release. All lyrics were written by Ozzy and Geezer Butler, and all music was written by Tony Iommi. According to interviews with Iommi, the album was recorded mostly live in the studio including the solos. The guitar and bass tones are immaculate for the genre, and overall the album is mixed well. Brad Wilk does a respectable job on drums. The album opens up with the track "End of the Beginning," which in all honesty comes across as a pretty mediocre track chugging along at a forgettable mid-tempo. The next track, "God is Dead?," does a lot better job at creating that vibe Black Sabbath is known for but isn't very original. The third track, "Loner," begins with a riff that immediately reminds me of "Locomotive Breath" by Jethro Tull. I can't help but wonder if this has something to do with Iommi's short stint in Jethro Tull. The fourth track, "Zeitgeist," is the first track that really caught my ears and held them. It is a slower track, with acoustic guitar and unusual percussion that is carried by the bassline. The next four tracks are all pretty standard Sabbath-style doom metal, and they mostly escape sounding like a cover band of themselves. The next three tracks, available only with the deluxe version, contains two of the better songs from the album. The tracks "Methademic" and "Peace of Mind" are solid tracks that seem to pick up somewhere in the neighborhood of where Black Sabbath and Ozzy left off in the '70s, but the track "Pariah" seems more like a weak B side with the exception of having a really solid solo by Iommi on the track. This is NOT a modern metal album, and doesn't try to sound like it is. This is an album that attempts to pick up where Black Sabbath and Ozzy left off with each other in the seventies, with mixed results.

Ozzy is an odd dude with an odd voice, and people seem to either love or hate his vocals. What can be said about Ozzy's voice is that somehow it is still mostly intact. His age doesn't seem to have much impact on his vocal ability, which is amazing considering the hard life he has led (mostly in full view of the public). There is minimal vocal processing going on for most of the album, with the occasional subtle or not-so-subtle effect thrown in for variety. The lyrics on the other hand, seem to be hit or miss. Some of the lyrical offerings seem to be pretty solid but others go into the realm of cheesy clichs. A good example of the cheesy side of lyrics can be observed on the track "God is Dead?," where Ozzy proclaims: "The blood runs free/ The rain turns red/ Give me the wine/ You keep the bread/ The voices echo in my head/ Is God alive or is God dead? / Is God dead?"

While recording the album, Iommi came into the studio one day to discover a lot of vintage amplifiers had been brought in. The logic behind this is the label thought this would help Iommi find an early Sabbath-sounding guitar tone, which is kind of funny. Ultimately, Iommi made the point that they were trying to get him to find a good tone to imitate his own tone and instead used his normal equipment. I've had some of the most mixed emotions I've ever had regarding an album release after listening to "13." At times the album seemed to be an almost a formulaic caricature of previous Black Sabbath hits, but at other moments I found myself impressed with the musical atmosphere they create. I really find myself enjoying "Zeitgeist," "Peace of Mind," and "Damaged Soul." I didn't completely hate any tracks on the album, but I was under-whelmed by "God is Dead?" and "Pariah." The bottom line is this is a decent album, but not mind-blowing. Iommi does play some really interesting solos on the album, and according to interviews they are all tracked live in the studio which is impressive in this modern age of ProTools and such.

JuteJute
    I find this album to be much better than 7. Thats just me tho
    daken_1
    Agreed, but I actually don't think we should be judging at all. We are incredibly lucky (understatement) to even get Sabbath playing live given everything they've been through individually and as a band.
    Braykah
    Trust me, you're not the only one to think that...
    thisaradj
    At first it sounded pretty much boring and repetitive to me. But after a couple of listens it got better and better. I love this album!! I would give 10/10. It deserves it!
    yousef213
    I loved the album except it was WAY TOO COMPRESSED. Seriously it would have been less work to keep a nicer, wider dynamic range like classic Sabbath, and t would have sounded much better. The musicianship is pretty good too, although some songs drag out for a bit too long (imo)
    dewitt
    I find it odd that something like this that's obviously decent overall, at least, gets a 7 from the reviewer and even a 7.9 from the users... whereas anything else seems to get a 7 by default, and any actually appealing aspects only add to that final score. Most albums seem to get around an 8 just because people seem to think anything less is insulting (nobody seems to understand the point scale), so I think it's pretty strange that something like a new album from Black Sabbath, of all artists, doesn't get the same treatment. That being said, I think 7 is a fair rating (maybe even a little high). It just seems unfair in the context of all the other inflated ratings of everything else here.
    ruletheneck
    I'm very much with you here. There should only be four scores: 10/10, 8.5/10, Underwhelming/10 and Terrible/10.
    karl.santos.39
    An amazing record...Just got my copy 2 days back...There are no filler tracks on here (even the bonus tracks). This can easily be kept up there with their first four releases...Excuse me while I go listen to this majestic gem another time!
    cfhdomination
    Same here. IMHO it's freaking excellent. And the track Damaged Soul.....my god! Really the only way to describe it is satanic blues. Easily my favorite track on the album. Overall I'd give it a 9/10. Really awesome stuff on this album and so far my favorite release this year.
    adamwalker4991
    Completely agree. I submitted a review, where I scored it 9, but UG seem completely reluctant to post it...
    Maxmetpt
    I didn't really like Ozzy's vocals on this one, to be honest. The melodies are still there a some are as good as before, but the actual singing... I don't know, it just doesn't seem the old Ozzy to me. Maybe his voice is too clear and loud in the mixing, but something doesn't fit there, for me. But I agree, not a bad album, although not the album I'll listen to many times.
    kyletaulbee97
    this is worth so much more than a 7/10. This should not have the same rating as Supercollider.
    shredder3386
    Agreed. A wildly mediocre Megadeth album (the third in a row imho) gets the same rating as the return of Black Sabbath!? Even if Ozzys vocals aren't to everyone's taste, the music itself is still worth an 8 at least. I will be listening to this way more than Megadeth I can tell you that.
    Leather Sleeves
    3 in row? I think Endgame was pretty damn good.
    shredder3386
    Ya I will agree it had some good moments. Still liked United Abominations and The System Has Failed more though. But its just my opinion, everyone has their own preferences I guess.
    EpiExplorer
    Its not monumental, but I like it for what it is.
    zach.blackwell3
    I thought the album was pretty great, all things considered. It reminded me of 70's Sabbath, which was nice. Overall, I was impressed with the first Ozzy/Sabbath record in decades. I can't speak for everyone though.
    RJDfan666
    Fair review. I'd rate it higher than a 7, but considering the fact that I worship these guys (not Wilk, but he can still hold his own), I'll admit my opinion would be biased. But I thought it was great. I actually really enjoyed the newer, louder sound. Reminds of their last album with Dio (God rest his soul), yet almost every song has a part where you can plainly hear a classic Sabbath type of groove. The only thing I didn't like was the occasional cheesy lyric which was justly mentioned in this review ("Out of the gloom I rise from my tomb into impending doom" would be my example... Would you eat in a Box? Would you eat it with a Fox?) :-P . I give it an 9/10. Just my opinion though.
    Iommianity
    Black Sabbath's best albums are, imo, 10/10 albums. Some classic albums are as well, some aren't, and shouldn't be confused as being 'perfect' albums regardless of their influence. You can still say this is a great album without giving it a perfect 10. It seems like literally every album that comes out these days has at least one or two people acting like it's the greatest thing of all time, even if the sentiment doesn't carry on. Black Sabbath are men. They're my favourite band of all time, and I would never dispute their importance. But they're men, who put out an album of music that can absolutely be judged. Regardless of what you think about this album, your standard is not necessarily anyone else's. I personally love 13. I don't care to compare it to their previous work. The fact that it wasn't a trainwreck is what made me appreciate it at first, and under repeated listenings it holds up. Dunno what score I'd give it, but it's a great Sabbath album in 2013. For people, that's enough said.
    Lightning_Ray
    The only thing lacking on this album is Bill Ward. Brad does a good job with the drums, but he lacks that "jazzy feel" that Bill had. Besides that, it's a great album, I'd rate it somewhere between 8 and 9, depending on my mood.
    allancastle
    First impressions were 7/10. After five listens, I'm now at 10. Not a bad song on the album. So many moments where I find myself thinking "this is it." A chill-out song about nothing. A drug song. The soloing in Loner. The guitar tone. Think how much you love the "boogie" movement in Snowblind. Now listen to the riff at 6:19 in God Is Dead or the second movement (when it speeds up) in EOTB. These are even better. And Snowblind is probably my favourite song by any band ever. I think the would-be Lester Bangses in this thread are "offended" that Sabbath have "repeated themselves" by writing multipart pieces with fast and slow sections. They'd better not start listening to much classical music then. Great record, by guys who were probably afraid they'd never make another good one before they were dead.
    vppark2
    9/10 for me. Brad Wilk did a great job on drums, and everyone else killed it.
    Braykah
    Brandon needs to get his shit together. Continuing to make the same kind of music that they've become acclaimed and appreciated for isn't exactly "sounding like a cover band of themselves", and only goes to show that there are always going to be people who bitch about a band not taking the same musical direction that they want it to. Sure, the first four tracks are very similar to older Sabbath songs, but that doesn't mean that they're "formulaic caricatures" of these songs. I'd say this is worth a 9/10. Every band member delivers to the maximum and all the elements that made you enjoy their old albums are there, but fresh and updated. The engineering is perfectly adjusted to their sound and makes the songs sound even more dark, heavy and ominous, and every song has something of its own to offer, making the album very well-rounded in its entirety. My favorite tracks at the moment are God Is Dead?, Zeitgeist and Age of Reason, but Live Forever and Dear Father are also great songs.
    EyesWideOpen
    Good review. Even if people disagree with the guys opinion, I hope they still appreciate that it was well written, fair and indeed helful.
    sn00ze
    7/10 for such a great album by legendary band. I just love how every other random trash-metal album reviewed here is getting 9s...
    dewitt
    It's not really that this album is rated too low. It's more of an issue of everything else being rated too high. It's a 10 point scale (and it even has indicators by 1, 5, and 10 to show what they stand for), yet 7-10 is almost literally the only range of the scale that is used for anything. That makes the whole point system completely redundant.
    Davey_meister
    People i think have very high expectations for sabbath and are more critical. Not to mention to review that other crap and give it such a high score youd have to be a massive fan already. But then again, remember sabbaths reviews for their first albums in the 70s? Even lower.
    dimitris rousso
    'escape sounding like a cover band of themselves'??? They are themselves, how would they sound? This is their sound, plenty years now, why should they change? The album sounds more and more wonderful every time i listen to it.
    jbob145
    It's just an album you should sit down and listen to all the way through. I really love it.
    Shiookami
    Okay I did enjoy reading this review, he had a few good points, "They had nothing left to prove" being the best one. However I highly disagree with the lyrics part of your review, comparing to bands like Opeth or Porcupine Tree yes these lyrics are cheesy. But for Black Sabbath pitted against Black Sabbath, it's very normal. "Make a joke and I will sigh and you will laugh and I will cry" being their old lyrics, the new album has some much better lyrical sense than their older albums. The track you seem to enjoy so much, Zeitgeist, you forgot to mention it is a literal (but amazing) rehash of Planet Caravan. I think what they wanted to do with this album (personally) is show that a band can grow, have solo projects, go through 36 years of never recording together, years of fighting, and struggling through drugs, sickness, and life, and still release tracks of the same intensity as their heyday. There's my two cents
    Drapion69
    didnt like the mixing
    Walldude
    I like the album but you have a point. It's like anything else these days, all compressed to shit for the digital world. Someone upthread mention the vocals being too "in your face" which is a product of the same thing. I will say that I had heard some earlier mixes and the final product is better than what I was expecting.. the earlier mixes were really crap..
    cnr69
    Hey, first off, I am a lifelong Sabbath fan since the beginning. The title is fine with me, maybe vol.13 would have been better. but everyone has criticism. this is about what I expected, with something I hadn't thought about until hearing the album for the first time. I like how they threw in little tributes to the past. I seem to hear licks and effects of most of the great Ozzy albums of the past. I like that, It's been 30plus years. This will grow on me, I'm sure. This was not created for the kids. This was for us, Sabbath fans.
    Skuzzmo
    It's ok.... not anything outstanding. Certainly wont be on my regular "listen to list". I actually appreciate this album more for who it is and what they've accomplished rather than the actual music itself. 6, may be 7, out of 10 seems correct and proper.
    deanwinchester0
    I think that's a pretty accurate review. This definitely is an old+new sounding Sabbath, but it isn't all too pleasing...
    LeperDog
    Very well-written review. Mediocre album it seems, but then again as the reviewer said, they're just trying to continue from where they left off.
    ajsingle7270
    Classic heavy Iommi riffs. Ozzys vocals that send shivers down your spine and a solid rhythm. I honestly wasnt expecting much from this but DAMN classic Sabbath with modern production.This album deserves a 9. Quit whinging bout Ozzy using auto tune the man is a legend and ALL major artists use it these days.Dont like it dont listen to it.Hate the game not the player
    ukor88
    really nothing special... i'm a bit disapointed... they should do a bit faster songs, new paranoid or symptom of the universe, they could try at least...
    ewolf5150
    i was never a HUGE sabbath fan and i always enjoyed ozzys solo work much more. i heard half the album on itunes and without really paying attention i thought it was mid tempo and boring. i was in the record exchange yesterday, and they had live forever playing in the store and i was like wow, this song is pretty awesome, so i caved and bought the album. i am actually really enjoying it so far, time will tell if it sticks with me. live forever, loner, god is dead, and zeitgeist are my favs so far. i like every song on the album and it has replaced megadeths super collider(good album i dont care what anyone says) in the cars cd player
    Iommianity
    I think the ones approaching this album with the most pretensions are the ones being disappointed. Yes, Rick Rubin produced this album. No, Ozzy is still not a great singer. No, Bill Ward is not on the album. Either people received different copies of the album than the rest of us, or something is getting in the way of their hearing. A good or bad album is something only you can decide for yourself, but if a song like Damaged Soul or Age of Reason isn't enough for your standards, why even bother with 13? A monkey could have looked at this scenario and seen it wasn't for them. Imagine we took the same critical eye to the original Sabbath albums, free from nostalgia or context. Wow, most of those mixes don't really stand up to time, do they? Look at how much the tempo wavers. The guitars and bass are a few cents sharp. Ozzy's recording vocals in multiple takes because he can't pull them off. Just enjoy a record. Or don't. But give me a break.
    dudeman667
    I gotta say i like the line "Give me the wine/ You keep the bread" and overall i think it more then a 7 as well. id consider the album a pretty solid 8.
    K33nbl4d3
    "I can't help but wonder if this has something to do with Iommi's short stint in Jethro Tull." Sorry, but a couple of weeks with them 40 years ago probably isn't gonna have a huge impact on this record...
    music salvation
    Labeling this as stoner rock, even among other things does not feel appropriate. I understand the fact that Sabbath inspired the inception of this subgenre, but personally i find this label to be a misnomer.
    matty.otoole.1
    It's a decent album, it doesn't warrant a day one purchase for me at least, but I'll probably pick it up a couple of months later. I dunno what it is, it just loses steam near the end but I can't put my finger on why. I thought the first half of it was great!
    Morphogenesis26
    It sounds oddly dated and the songs are really repetitive and plain. I can't say I expected anything better, though.
    beyondthegrave
    After listening to this album I feel it was a train wreck that even Bill Ward couldn't have saved. The drumming sounds uninspired and really thin , the guitar tone sounds hideous to me , there are no real prominent bass lines that I heard (I had trouble making it through any of the songs so I didn't hear any), Ozzy sounds like he is singing with his own band.I did like some of the riffs but overall I couldn't get into any of the songs.
    Doomtrooper117
    Did everyone just forget about their first album? you know, the one that basically created doom all by itself? When they said they were returning to their roots they weren't talking about the industry controlled "paranoid". They were talking about the un-throttled bulldozer that was the album "Back Sabbath," and 13 does a good ****ing job at that.
    EpiExplorer
    'industry controlled?' Check this guy.
    Doomtrooper117
    Ah, that sounded bad, not how I meant it. What i was referring to was how the music industry played a much larger role on paranoid than it did on black sabbath. i love both albums, but it's a well known fact that the shorter songs, along with some cosmetic things such as the album cover and even the name of the album were changed due to the industry trying to fit them into an American market.
    legend shredder
    And that the song Paranoid was a last minute inclusion because the record company wanted a single.
    ScottStewart1
    besides the title track, I can't really think of any songs from that album that 'created' doom. I mean, Master of Reality on the other hand...
    Face R1pper
    Please don't give them that much credit. Black Sabbath was one of many in the late 60s and early 70s making proto-doom songs. Indeed they were one of the better bands, but that doesn't mean you can say they "created doom".
    Iommianity
    Most people unfortunately don't care. Don't tell them about awesome bands like Iron Claw, who were just as heavy as Sabbath, at the exact same time no less.
    elvor0
    Not heard of Iron Claw before now, but I certainly like the sound of what I hear. I shall have to check em out. Wouldn't say they were /quite/ as heavy as Black Sabbath, but that could just be the poor quality of the audio. On topic: 13s alright, Mathademic and Zeitgiest are the standout tracks. But they sort of sound like they're imitating themselves, even though Zeitgiest is a good track, it seems like they put it in there as a direct callback to Paranoid; End of the Beginning feels like it's supposed to be standing in for the song Black Sabbath. Plus there's a bit too much of Ozzys "pop" metal influence from his later days creeping in. I dunno, it's not bad, but it's not great either. But considering how perfect the first 7 Sabbath Albums are, I'm surprised they're even capable of coming up with any riffs these days let alone /reasonably/ good ones. And it's too clean. I know that sounds odd, but I would've preferred it if they'd just gone in, lain down the tracks and recorded it "live" in the studio. It just gives a nicer texture to the sound I feel.
    brokndwn06
    compared to a lot of stuff out now...i like that you can tell its Sabbath, i like the dark lyrics (ones that dont just keep repeating.) but does seem i guess as one guy said repetitive and plain. but what else can sabbath do? too many legendary songs to top. great there playing together again anyways!
    fred.ceballos.7
    Good album - not great but love it nevertheless. 4 standout tracks: End of the Beginning, God is Dead, Dear Father, and Methademic. And these 4 tracks are not good - they are excellent! End of the Beginning is classic Black Sabbath, God is Dead is haunting, Dear Father is my favorite - good cut at the Catholic Church, and Methademic borders on Speed Rock. If you don't find yourself bobbing your head and hair up and down - you don't know Metal.
    Face R1pper
    People actually like this album? I guess its not awful but Black Sabbath is trying way too hard to fit into a modern sound here, and this makes alot of the music sound too fake. Lifeless vocals over lifeless riffs should not have even gotten a 7.
    Second Rate
    Modern sound? What I've heard sounds like Black Sabbath. As for the score.... were this released in the bands heyday, i would agree that it doesn't deserve a 7... but being as what I've heard of it is worlds better than the last Ozzy-fronted effort they produced, it definitely deserves a 7 now. All in all, if this is to be their final record... it's not a bad note for 3 old bastards to go out on. I was also pleasantly surprised by Brad Wilk's drumming. I've always felt him to be a bit stiff... like listening to a metronome, but he did a pretty respectable job. Also, one final little quip... when did Sabbath invent Sludge Metal? I know many of those bands may have been influenced by Sabbath, but Sludge Metal has an undeniable hardcore/punk influence as well.
    Face R1pper
    That's not how album reviews work. When you arbitrarily change the score because the band members old or because its your favorite musician, then you shouldn't be reviewing albums because you aren't capable of looking at music objectively. I love Black Sabbath, but I'm not going to let that alter my judgement of the album and make excuses for the band's sloppy performance.
    Second Rate
    again, compared to the last album they did with Ozzy..... this is a masterpiece. In that regard, it is definitely a 7.
    Face R1pper
    No because you're still speaking in relative terms rather than providing an actual observation of the album. And if you're talking about Never Say Die, that was a much better album than 13. Most of Never Say Die had good melodies and the songs avoided being monotonous, and on 13 the songs became too dull and repetitive even if they had some decent melodies. And Ozzy could actually sing back then.
    Iommianity
    lol, if you subtract points because of 'sloppy performance' from a modern recording, I have absolutely no idea how you feel about their classic albums. The tempos are all over the place on those albums, you can hear string noise, etc. If the album was flawlessly performed, you'd be complaining that it sounds sterile and overproduced. Ozzy could never 'sing', now or then. Notice how he could barely hit notes live whenever they tuned to C#? Just listen to a performance of Megalomania and tell me Ozzy could sing, let alone sing his own parts he'd already recorded. Face it, you're looking at their classic albums with rose coloured glasses, and it's made you sound jaded. Every 'objective' point you've attempted to make isn't all that objective, and that's your main problem. You're so confident that your opinion can be backed up objectively that you're blind to anything else.
    Face R1pper
    That's not what I meant by "sloppy performance", unfortunately UG took out the edit option so I couldn't have fixed it even after I realized it was poor word choice. But as you should have been able to infer from my other comments, I am talking more about their composition of the music rather than the execution of the music. And for the third time, I am not looking at the classic albums at all. I don't believe in judging music in relative terms. But I do think that Black Sabbath is trying to conform to modern expectations rather than focusing on their strengths.
    Iommianity
    That's fine, there's zero about your overall opinion that I take issue with. You don't like it, you don't think it's good. That doesn't have any bearing on my impression of it. It's the fact that you speak about 'objectivity' and dictate to others how their opinions should be formatted to be valid, completely ignoring the fact that every point you've made is completely subjective. Even the points you'd consider objective are still a matter of how you view things versus other people. It's not up to me to infer anything or to guess what you really mean.
    Face R1pper
    I agree with that, but many others here seem to only like this album because they support the Black Sabbath name rather than because they enjoy the actual music on the album. Of course you can't entirely eliminate subjectivity, but at least my subjectivity is regarding the music on the album. If people legitimately like this album then that's fine, they probably just prefer a different style. But it bothers me when people ignorantly support something just because it has a brand name attached to it, or how people are giving the album a handicap just because the musicians are old or because Iommi has cancer.
    Iommianity
    And it bothers me that you project all that onto someone saying they like an album, because it implies that those people haven't put as much thought into their opinion as you have. I mean, I could look at all the things you've complained about and say that few of them have to do with the over all sound of the album, and in fact sound like more of a backlash against people who do like the album. Would I be wrong? Maybe, but the difference is I'm going by what you actually said, not what I think you believe because you disagree with me.
    Face R1pper
    Like I said, I am not saying anything negative toward people who like the album. I am saying people that possess the attitude "its good because they are old" or "its better than album X" are evaluating the album based on the wrong criteria. So that would be a fraction of the people who like the album, but does not necessarily apply to everyone that likes the album.
    Iommianity
    I'm with you on this. There's absolutely nothing 'modern' about the music on this album at all. You'd think Tony Iommi was playing an 8 string guitar through a Fractal processor, with dozens of pinch harmonics and triggered drums. I'm all for different opinions, but that's the least sensible criticism I've seen about 13. Sounds like someone who wanted to hate something regardless of the context. I can't find where the dude brought up sludge metal, but that makes even less sense in this context. What does this album have to do with a band like Eyehategod or Meth Drinker?
    Second Rate
    Ehh, the dude I was commenting to didn't bring up Sludge Metal, it was in the actual review itself: "Black Sabbath has already cemented themselves in music history as the band that created doom/sludge metal." I probably should have worded it a bit better.
    Josh100_3
    I think you're getting confused with the time Judas Priest tried to get all modern with Jugulator and Demolition...