13 review by Black Sabbath

• Released: Jun 10, 2013
Black Sabbath: 13

This is the first time in a long time that Sabbath has been in the studio with Ozzy Osbourne. And let me tell you, I am absolutely stunned that they are back! This album delivers an excellent sound. Brad Wilk does an excellent job in filling Bill Ward's shoes, Iommi is back with his old school style soloing and right from the beginning we should be able to agree that this album sends a chilling rush down the spine. This album is a prime example of how Sabbath should sound! Even the 3 tracks on the bonus disc are absolutely extraordinary! If you decide to pick up this album, I urge you to get the 2 disc deluxe edition for that exact purpose.

You can somewhat hear that Ozzy's voice is not what it was when he was a lot younger, but that being said, he still sound perfectly acceptable. Honestly, it is a true mystery how this man can't speak at all without stuttering/mumbling, yet he is able to vocalize quite nicely. Ozzy's voice was, and still is unique, and to many people including myself, this is one of the primary elements that makes Sabbath so great. I am not hating on Black Sabbath with Dio, or Ian Gillan, but what I am saying, is that Ozzy has this uniqueness to his voice, that nobody can replace. We longed to see Ozzy return to Sabbath, and after several years, we got our wish! God is not dead Ozzy, because you are the lyrical God! Let's analyze some of the best examples of lyricism are as follows: "Faster than the speed of life Not so super nova burns The black holes turn and fade from sight The strings of fear they hide within the human race The answers buried underground The love I feel as I fly endlessly through space Lost in time I wonder will my ship be found."

This can be looked at as a time machine taking us back to the year 1971, it is very "Master of Reality"-esque, with somewhat of a modern twist. This absolutely exceeded my expectations, so overall I am giving it a perfect 10/10. Not their best album by any means, but when you take into consideration the fact that they are aged quite a lot, then this album deserves a 10/10. I have been listening to this album nonstop since I got it yesterday, I just, I absolutely CANNOT stop! If this album was stolen or lost, I would most certainly replace it in a heartbeat! This is just one of those albums you need to have by your side at all times, truly powerful, truly emotional, and a word that is overused, but fitting, it is truly perfect.