Black Sabbath review by Black Sabbath

Black Sabbath: Black Sabbath

In my opinion Black Sabbath is the best hard rock band there is. But that's just my opinion. I say this because nearly every hard rock or heavy metal band will tell you that they were influenced by Sabbath. This album started it all. I love the classic Sabbath sound that is introduced on this album. They are such a good band and they put a lot of passion into their music and it shows on this album. I can only think of a few more bands that have members that play as well as these guys do. The only thing about this album is that it was made in 1970 so the recording technology wasn't that impressive back then so I'll have to knock off a point or two for that.

The lyrics of the album fit perfectly with all of the dark and gloomy riffs that Iommi cranks out through the whole thing. Great lyrics with great music to go along with them. Ozzy does sound a bit odd on the title track but it's still good. Osbourne isn't that great of a singer but since his voice is so unique I think that it completely makes up for it. One of the greatest frontmen in rock history. I heard that the whole album was recorded in one seven hour session. If this is true you can definitely tell the toll it was taking on Osbourne's voice on the last few songs of the album. I think that he sounds good though.

I might have to say that this is my favorite Sabbath album. I loved it the first time I heard it and I like it just as much today. I can listen to the whole thing and not get bored. The highlights of the album would have to be the opening track "Black Sabbath", The Wizard, "Behind The Wall of Sleep/Bassically/N.I.B." and Iommis solo on "Warning". My least favorite song on the album would have to be "Wicked World" though. I'm not saying that it's a bad song I'm just saying that it doesn't really do much for me. The solos in it are good though. That's expected though. It's Tony Iommi.