Heaven & Hell Review

Black Sabbath: Heaven & Hell
Release Date: May 1980
Label: Warner Bros.
Genres: Album Rock, Heavy Metal, British Metal
Heaven & Hell features the dynamic seven-minute title track, which builds from a lazy throb to a high-octane roar, and the dynamic "Die Young," which segues from an uptempo saunter to a flamboyant midsection strangely reminiscent of Queen.
 9.4
 9.3
 9.4
 1,411
Heaven & Hell Reviewed by: Shreddin 4 Life, on july 10, 2006

Sound: In my opinion, the sound on this album by far surpasses any previous Sabbath album. It's the first album that came after Ozzy left, and Ronnie James Dio stepped in. This album is cleaner & heavier than all of the early works and the vocals sound better than ever (on account that Ronnie James Dio can sing at least ten times better than Ozzy ever could). Tony Iommi did some great guitar work on it too: just as classic-sounding as ever. I first heard this album a few years back when my dad played it on vinyl and I was totally blown away by the tunes. I'm not critical of music just because of who's in the band or what the band is. If it's good, it's good-nuff said. And this album's great. If you love music for the sake of listening to music or play guitar, this is an excellent album to get into. // 10

Lyrics: This is the single greatest album in terms of vocal performances and lyric-writing as far as Sabbath goes. Ronnie James Dio has an extremely powerful voice, and always delivers on any album or show (even today as he's nearing the age of 70)! The lyrics on this album are great too. They're very symbolic in the sense that they're meant to sound evil or dark, but really aren't carrying any such message. They're actually just reflections of how life doesn't always work out how you like it or, there how there are a lot of people who'll stand in your way and take you down if you don't stand up and believe in yourself (very much like the title track). However, Sabbath isn't much without some dark material like "Children Of The Sea", which is a highlight of the album. // 9

Overall Impression: This is a very classic album in my opinion, which makes it such a shame that it's not very well known. It's definitely better than the earlier Sabbath albums, and really has a classic metal sound. My favourite tunes are "Children Of The Sea", "Heaven & Hell", "Neon Knights" and "Lonely Is The Word". But in general, they're all great. One thing that I really love about this album is the overall mature and fresh sound that makes all of the previous albums that Sabbath released look like crap by comparison. "Heaven & Hell" is proof that the chemistry of the band members really doesn't have anything to do with the quality of the music. One problem I have though, is the fact that this line up was short-lived, only 4 Black Sabbath albums were made with Dio. One's live, and another's not worth anyone's time. Losing this album is not an issue for me, and one reason for that is it's rarity. So if you do find a copy (you'll probably have to order it), be sure to take good care of it! // 9

Heaven & Hell Reviewed by: ozzypossum, on march 28, 2008

Sound: The sound to me was the best sound Tony Iommi has ever made on an album, yes Ozzy fans over Paranoid. To some people Sabbath wasn't Sabbath after Ozzy left but after Ozzy left Sabbath became more melodic and operatic. The lead singer for this album was Dio, who in most people's mind is the best Metal singer ever, those people are correct. This sound mixes the heaviness of Sabbath's Paranoid with the epic Rising album by Rainbow. This sound is Sabbath at it's best. For power/black metallists. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics for H&H remind you of bands like Rainbow, Led Zeppelin, & Black Widow, in other words mystical. The lyrics for the song Heaven & Hell however is very religous in the christian since. Dio was writing how the world to him is like Heaven & Hell you can choose either or. Overall the lyrics for this album were not offensive & were very complex in a good way. // 10

Overall Impression: Overall I give this album 10. This album is very underated & is essential in any Metalhead's CD collection. The most Impressive song on this collection was Die Young then Heaven & Hell then Children of the Sea. This album is in the chain of Black Sabbath's first album, Rainbow's Rising, Blue Oyster Cult's Agents of Fortune, Dio's Holy Diver, & Judas Priest's Sad Wings of Destiny. // 10

Heaven & Hell Reviewed by: black-sabbath, on june 02, 2008

Sound: I think this is a great album. It was released in 1980 and it's the band's first album without Ozzy. Ronnie James Dio is a great vocalist and really shows that on this album. Everything on this album is great: great guitars, great drums and great vocals. Most songs have a clean part to it and I love how the songs change, but still flow. One of Sabbath's best sounding albums! // 9

Lyrics: Ronnie James Dio wrote most of the lyrics for this album. Once again, Black Sabbath gives us dark, meaningful lyrics and appropriate riffs to go along with the lyrics. Dio sings his heart out on this record and his lyrics are great. Stuff like "they say that life's a carousel, spinning fast you've got to ride it well" make the songs even better. // 8

Overall Impression: This is my 3rd favourite Black Sabbath album (behind Paranoid and Black Sabbath). My favourite songs on this album are Heaven and Hell, Children of The Sea and Die Young. All of them have that "epic" sound. Even the songs that aren't my favourite, I listen to quite a bit. Only thing I really want is more than 8 songs on this album. Since I bought this album on iTunes, it can't get lost, but I something happened (computer crash, whatever) I'd go buy it again. Black Sabbath was due for a change, and this was just what they needed. // 9

Comments