Paranoid review by Black Sabbath

• Released: Sep 18, 1970
Black Sabbath: Paranoid

I got this album because everyone who has a bit idea of hard rock music found it so great. When I first listened to it, I found the sound way different from Sabbath's later recordings and other hardrock bands like AC/DC, I'd call this sound narcotic. Yes, Ozzy screams and wails like a stoned madman. And Tommy Iommi's bluesy and insane solos guitar riffs add to the atmosphere. It all sounds very dirty but sound-rich, plain but innovative, easy but deep anyway. Something you'll never hear on the radio today.

Ozzy's singing fits perfectly to the bluesy sound of the album. Well he's not Bruce Dickinson, but really knows how to do it. The lyrics are not poetic or rich of metaphores, but meaningful. I think Black Sabbath took the kind of blues approach towards the lyrics. Like it's the voice which expresses, not tremendous lyrics or a great melody.

When I turned the CD player on, my father told me he now remembers that when he was in the army, they had their own Sabbath freak who listened to these songs the whole time. I could imagine a grungy military tent back in the '70s and a tube box roaring "War Pigs." So I had the impression that even if it's not a fantastic-deep-epic-melodic-metal album, it really gets on your mind. What else should we expect from a good music CD?