Paranoid review by Black Sabbath

• Released: Sep 18, 1970
Black Sabbath: Paranoid

The sound is the sound of doom, the birth of heavy metal and the end of society as we knew it, Tommi Iomi's guitar is distorted and menacing, Geezer's bass is both rythmic, dazzling and prominent, Tony Wards drumming is excellent but often overlooked (especially his hand drumming in Planet Caravan) The sound is not as full and thick as the countless hundreds of metal bands who followed, but it was raw, fast (sometimes) and exciting. Heavy Metal was born of blues and it shows, some of the solos for guitar and bass are deeply rooted in the blues. The final peice of the jigsaw is Ozzy, his high register voice howls, screams and delivers messages of doom and is projected perfectly throughout the album. This album was released on the day of the death of the great Jimi Hendrix and as soon as it was heard it became clear that we had exchanged one left handed guitar god for another. Iommi had arrived and his influence is still alive today.

The lyrics are all very similar, they are all about doom and death and the aftermath of death, with the occasional political message (War Pigs) which is as relevant today as it always was. There are also bits about mental problems (Paranoid and War Pigs) and revenge (Iron Man). Overall there are alot of bad things going on in this record and it almost follows a lyrical story up to track 6 Hand Of Doom. Genius, Revolutionary and generally very, very good.

There is nothing to compare this to because nothing was around when this was released upon the unsuspecting ears of rock fans everywhere. It's groove based style didn't really influence Metal again until the '90s with bands like Pantera but released a torent of loud and proud metal bands onto the music scene in the 1970's. The tracks that stand out on this masterpeice are War Pigs, Paranoid, Planet Caravan, Iron Man, Electric Funeral, Hand of Doom, Rat Salad and Fairies wear Boots, the whole album. There is not an album like it in existance and there never will be again. I love how this album inspired the all the great bands that have comes since this album, I love how it is one of the best albums of the 1970's and I love the songs on it, I hate that it was made in the 1970's, with typical '70s production quality. If it were stolen or lost I would destroy the thief wih my 'Hand of Doom'and take back my CD, and put it on.