Paranoid review by Black Sabbath

• Released: Sep 18, 1970
Black Sabbath: Paranoid

Black Sabbath's second album is probably one of the most influential heavy metal albums ever constructed, and set the standard for countless other albums, ranging from when it was written to present day. It also gave Tommy Iommi, the guitarist in Black Sabbath several titles. The king of power chords, and according to Ozzy Osbourne "The most underrated guitarist. Ever." It also gave the world several killer tracks to base thousands of guitarists' insporations by. The most obvious of them is Iron Man, the album centerpiece, in the mind of many. Also the critically underrated Eletric Funeral and Rat Salad [featuring a Billy Ward's incredible drum solo. But the heart of and soul of the album was Tommy Iommi, already a incredible guitarist, because of his injury, causing him to replace two of his fingers, with plastic fingertips. But it was Iommi's crunchy, distorted down-tuned powerchords, and fat nimble leads that gave Black Sabbath it's sound. Every song on this CD is well put together, even it's title track. considering the fact that they needed a filler and chose Paranoid to fill it. Although firmly rooted in heavy metal, it still had the traces of the earlier stages of punk rock. In a way Black Sabbath created punk. The solos are fast, and more distorted than he next, breaking down barriers for the modern-day distortion-fest that is punk-rock. But the fast-paced, no-looking-back attitude doesn't last forever. Planet Caravan is a slow, almost African-esque kind of song, with Ozzy's slow, effects-ridden vocals, and Billy Ward's bongo/conga slow drumming.

Black Sabbath also pushed it's way up mainstream lyrically as well. In an era where a nice acoustic song with backing vocals about "finding that special place" and "Finding yourself", Black Sabbath barges ahead, singing about topics that modern day bands like System Of A Down and Rage Against The Machine take on, such as the evil in the world, the government, war, paranoia, rage, and confusion. Ozzy's nasal-y voice fitted perfectly with Iommi's style. It is perfectly clam while singing on such topics that are exactly the opposite. Ozzy's is seemingly distant, drowsy.

Black Sabbath is the basis for several genres of music, such as rock, metal, and punk. But they still, even to this day, egt enough credit they deserve. Some of there greatest sings go un-noticed, even by fans. Example: Eletric Funeral. As I struggle to find some negatives to balance my review out, I would like to point out that Black Sabbath may have created metal with this album, and is still underrated. If it was stolen I would definatley buy another. And anyone who lacks this album must go buy this, even if they despise Black Sabbath.

bassplayerwilly
    M.B.MetalTabber
    Dirtydeeds468
    Excellent, excellent album. The musicianship on it is astounding. It is a shame, though, how overlooked Geezer Butler's bass work and Bill Ward's drumming are. They both really add to Sabbath's doom-metal feel.
    Shreddin 4 Life
    M.B.MetalTabber wrote: Interesting Fact: did tou all know that Paranoid was a filler which was written in 5 minutes!! Cool or what?
    yeah, I did! I read it somewhere from an interview, but that song was never really big fer me in the first place, even tho I love to play it...
    Modernmusich8er
    bassplayerwilly wrote: I strongly disagree with what Modernmusich8er said in his review, Geezer Butler isn't an average bassist. He's one of the best.
    Yeah, I guess I wasn't thinking when I wrote that part. Geezer Butler is a great bassist and Bill Ward is a great drummer, sorry bout my lack of thinking.
    Shreddin 4 Life
    whatever, these things happen looking back at some of my previous reviews, I underrated some of the stuff at the time myself... Depends on ur frame of mind while ur writing up the review!
    \m/ slayer \m/
    British Josh
    ozzy tony geezer and bill are some of the best musicians out there. geezer is definantly one of the best bassists out there. the only ones i can think of that can match him are maybe steve harris and/or cliff burton. and for the record, bullet for my valentine, in flames machine head etc. aren't exactly what i'd call good. they just make a lot of noise in a slightly semi together fasion and release it. and to the guy above me, cobain was a guitarist but your comment was true. he wrote a few decent songs but he was a shitty guitarist. and to death bat, scorpions didn't start metal. sabbath actually did. and judas priest was before scorpions, what do you call them? Paranoid is in fact one of the best metal albums of all time.
    seijo_hxc
    \m/ slayer \m/ wrote: just because u make good songs doesnt make u one of the best bassists guitarists ever. case and point :kurt cobain
    I agree with that