Sabbath Bloody Sabbath review by Black Sabbath

Black Sabbath: Sabbath Bloody Sabbath

It's no doubt that Black Sabbath is the most important band in all of metal. It would just be silly to argue that. No other band even comes close when you're looking at important bands of the metal genre. And it's also no doubt metal is what Sabbath does, and they do it pretty damn good. "Sabbath Bloody Sabbath" is an album simply to fall in love with. Every single track has its moments, and each track is as crucial to the album as the next. One of the very few albums where every single song can be so damn good. As always, this album serves up the classic Sabbath heavy sound. Grungy, heavy, and awesome are the only words I know to describe it. Most (if not all) of the album is in super down-tuning (correct me if I'm wrong but I believe it's either C# or Cb). Probably the lowest tuning I've ever heard ever; especially throughout the course of a whole album. But it doesn't by any means make the album any worse. In many ways (and I know most of you will agree with me on this one), Sabbath just would't be Sabbath without Tony having to always tune down. Down-tuning tends to create a much heavier, darker sound, and heavy and dark are what Sabbath are best at.

I've never really known Sabbath to make brilliant, jaw-dropping lyrics, but then again they're never all that bad, either. I really can't rip them for writing bad lyrics, because in truth there's nothing to complain about. After all, metal music (or even rock music in general) doesn't necessarily have a lyric-friendly reputation. I'll just say that Sabbath's lyrics are a hell of a lot better (not to mention more thought out) than a lot of bands at that time or even of the present day.

Personally, this is my favorite Sabbath album. I don't care how great everybody thinks "Paranoid" was, because any one of the tracks on here blow "Iron Man" right out of the water. It's as simple as that. I can't really pick a favorite song from the album. The whole album basically has something for everyone. From the acoustic instrumental track, "Fluff," to possibly the heaviest song ever written, "Sabbath Bloody Sabbath," to the wonderful depiction of the futuristic environment in "Spiral Architect," there's something here for metalheads of all kinds (and for you nu-metal geeks; you may learn a thing or two from listening to these guys). So, even though most metal music gets a bad rap because so many bands have abused its reputation, Black Sabbath is still the real deal and this is as close to a perfect metal album as you're ever going to get.