Sabbath Bloody Sabbath review by Black Sabbath

Black Sabbath: Sabbath Bloody Sabbath

Sabbath Bloody Sabbath is an interesting album. It has quite a mix of songs, traditional Sabbath-style (Sabbath Bloody Sabbath), more uptempo rock songs (Sabbra Cadabra), and more experimental tracks (Who Are You? ). It also features a traditional Sabbath instrumental in the form of Fluff, which in later years became their intro tape at live gigs. Iommi, Geezer and Ward are all on absolute form, the riffs range from menacing and crushing to occasionally up-lifting and beautiful. Geezer, as always throughout his career is consistent, providing a very familiar sounding, powerful foundation to the tracks. Bill Wards drumming is as Geezers playing is, powerful, and laying a strong foundation to the songs.

The lyrics on this album are simply fantastic. In the Black Box book, Geezer Butler explains the lyrics to Sabbath Bloody Sabbath: "The lyrics to 'Sabbath Bloody Sabbath' were about the the Sabbath experience, the ups and downs, the good times and bad times, the rip-offs, the business side of it all. 'Bog blast all of you' was directed at the critics, the record business in general, the lawyers, the accountants, management and everyone who was trying to cash in on us. It was a backs-to-the-wall rant at everyone." Lyrics range from feel-good proclaimations of love (Sabbra Cadabra), enjoying life in a world gone mad (Spiral Architect), and questions of a God (Who Are You? ). The lyrics on this record seem to represent a change in lyrical style for Sabbath, to sometimes more up-lifting, positive subject matter. Ozzy's singing is wonderful on this album, particularly on Sabbath Bloody Sabbath, Killing Yourself To Live, and A National Acrobat.

This album compares very well to their other albums. While I do not find this album as consistent as Master Of Reality or Paranoid, it most definitely spawned some of their greatest songs. My favourite songs are firstly of course, Sabbath Bloody Sabbath, A National Acrobat, Killing Yourself To Live, and Sabbra Cadabra. I am not a fan of the experimental Who Are You? but I admire their forward thinking state of mind with the music, that would come full circle on the last of the Ozzy era Sabbath albums. If it were stolen I would seek out the bastard who stole it and first degree murder him, but if I found myself unable to murder him, I would absolutely purchase it again.

xHellbound
    Actually, off the top of my head: A National Acrobat, Killing Yourself to Live, Sabbra Cadabra, and Sabbath Bloody Sabbath are all C#. That's half the album.
    gerardk
    Its the best Sabbath album for me. It just sounds so complete i mean everyone shines on this album and every song stands out