Sabotage review by Black Sabbath

• Released: Jul 28, 1975
Black Sabbath: Sabotage

Well, I couldn't begin to tell you how many times I've heard a person say that Black Sabbath's last good record was Sabbath Bloody Sabbath. Well I gotta tell you that Sabotage is probably my second favorite Sabbath record (behind Masters Of Reality which is just unbeatable). First of all Tony Iommi's riffs are as good as ever. They are just as heavy if not heavier than some of his previous work. "Hole In The Sky" is one of Sabbath's strongest songs with one of Tony's catchiest riffs. "Symptom Of The Universe" is completely amazing and in a league of its own. The riff is one of the heaviest riffs I've ever heard and considering that the song is over 30 years old, for it to still sound heavy compared to todays music. Tony must have been doing something right. Then theres the solo of "Symptom" which is without a doubt Tony's best solo work, it's so fast sounding compared to his older more bluesy and "sludgy" sounding solos. "Megalomania" follows "Symptom" and is truely an epic. It is just astounding how that song unfolds as it goes along, gets my attention every time I hear it. Then a few songs later comes "Superstar" which is definelty something else. It's pretty much instrumental except for a choir like chant in the background. Its a really cool song. The there is "Am I Going Insane" which doesn't have any trademark Tony riffs and is alittle to pop for my taste but it still is a really catchy song. The last song of the album is "The Writ" which is also an epic, it's really a great album ender and unfolds as it goes along similar to "Megalomania." I don't know why so many people dislike this album, it has some amazing songs, and finds Sabbath trying new things.

Its Ozzy Osbourne, how can you not like it? The most recognizable voice in rock and roll history. His singing is definelty stronger than some of their earlier albums, you can definelty hear him really giving it his all. On "Symptom Of The Universe" Ozzy singing is so strong that you actually believe every word he says. Naturally Geezer's lyrics are as good as ever, and include some really thought provking topics. I still wonder to this day how he comes up with some of the stuff that he does.

Like I said before this is one of Sabbath's best albums. They are anything but past their prime on this record and they show new colors that nobody knew they had. Of course there are a few short instrumentals like on many of the Sabbath records which is really an interesting change from the heavy stuff. I can't say I hate anything on the album, "Am I Going Insane" is probably the weakest song on the album just because they tried to make a song that would be popluar to the mainstream public, in that song there is no cool riffs and no specific solo. They tried too hard to get a song on the radio. The only other thing that misses the mark slightly is the album cover, its just so weird looking. Other than that though it is a great cd. If this cd was stolen I would go out and buy a new one first chance I got.

Razor71
    I think that most pple keep saying this album and the two to follow it sucks because they expect them to keep doing heavy stuff and just be a "FANS BAND" when they just write music that makes them feel good in alot of ways METALLICA has the same problem with fans
    Sanitarium91
    Wasn't symptom of the universes main riff pretty much the first thrash riff ever recorded?
    Les Paul Ell
    Symptom of the Universe and Hole in the Sky are rather amazing, but I really think the hidden jem of the album is Meglomania! The first few minutes are kinda boring and they should have made it a separate track, but as soon as that cowbell comes in and Iommi rips into one of his top 5 meanest riffs it's superb!
    PaulieIommi
    Agreed, Megalomania certainly does not get the love it deserves. It always reminds me of a more sinister Stairway to Heaven.