Technical Ecstasy review by Black Sabbath

• Released: Sep 25, 1976
Black Sabbath: Technical Ecstasy

"Technical Ecstasy" is the seventh studio album by Black Sabbath, released in 1976. This album and its successor, "Never Say Die!" are completely different from previous albums like "Sabbath Bloody Sabbath" and "Master Of Reality". These two albums are actually unique points in the band's career. But, talking about "Technical Ecstasy": it may not be as heavy as their previous records, but it's still an amazing piece of music, just like all Sabbath albums are, in my opinion. The album goes from mindblowing, straight to the point rock and roll, like in "Dirty Women" and "Rock 'N' Roll Doctor" to more melancholic tunes like "It's Alright" (beautiful song sung by Bill Ward) and the fantastic "You Won't Change Me". Black Sabbath was going through hard times back then, dealing with issues like drug abuse and many judicial problems with their ex-manager. This album also failed to make commercial and critical success in the same scale of their previous albums, but I don't think that this really matters. Still, they did not failed to put out an amazing record. Praising Tony Iommi for his riffs is futile. "Dirty Women" and "You Won't Change Me" really shows what I'm talking about. In comparison with his soloing style in the previous albums, he kinda "shreds" here. I feel like Geezer Butler's performance on this album is a little below his true power, but it's still really good. Bill Ward, as always, crushes the drums like a beast. Great record.

Lyrics on this album talks about many themes. "Back Street Kids" and "Rock 'N' Roll Doctor" are basically odes to rock and roll. "Dirty Women" deals with getting laid with prostitutes and "Gypsy" and "She's Gone" talks about love, overall. There's also "It's Alright" and "You Won't Change Me", with introspective lyrics, talking about some kind of woe or sadness. There's also "All Moving Parts (Stand Still)", with some really confusing lyrics, but actually fun. Ozzy's voice here is great. Well, can't really say he is singing monstrously and reaching some really high notes like in the previous two albums, but it's great nevertheless. There is something I always say about Ozzy: he might not be an ace in technical skills and all, but I don't miss it, at all. His feeling, and "pleasure" is what really moves me. Really awesome.

Well, I think there's nothing more to say about this. Like I've said before, it's not as heavy as some of their previous albums, like "Sabotage" or "Master Of Reality", but it's still an amazing album, nevertheless. I would point "Dirty Women" and "You Won't Change Me" as the best ones here, but honestly, most of the album is above average, except for "Gypsy", that I think it's pretty average and "She's Gone", which in my opinion is the worst Black Sabbath song ever. But of course, that's just my opinion. I've seen many people recommend this album only to die hard Sabbath fans, but personally, I recommend it not only to Sabbath fans, but to any fan of 70's hard rock. If someone steal this from me or if I lose it, I will not even hesitate to buy it again.

SouthOfHeaven97
    agreed with the funk sound, i can def see it. album rules by the way, every "true" black sabbath fan should listen to dirty women