The Dio Years review by Black Sabbath

• Released: Apr 2, 2007
Black Sabbath: The Dio Years

A compilation of greatest hits compiled from the four albums recorded by Black Sabbath during its years with frontman Ronnie James Dio. Included are the prime cuts from three studio albums -- Heaven And Hell, The Mob Rules, and Dehumanizer, and one selection from the live disc, Live Evil. Also included are three brand new tracks -- "The Devil Cried, Shadow Of The Wind, and Ear In The Wall. The sound is powerful, potent, and well-produced. The original tracks were carefully remixed to bring out all the finer nuances that may not have been as obvious and easily heard on the vinyl editions. The new songs just make listeners yearn to hear even more. You can't help but want to crank up the volume, pump your fist, and play this one over and over again from start to finish. Tony Iommi is definitely at the top of his game, and Ronnie James Dio -- one of the greatest voices in the business -- demonstrates just why he got this gig in the first place. Geezer Butler's bass tightly holds the bottom end while drummers Bill Ward (on Heaven And Hell) and Vinny Appice (on all three other discs) drive the band into what had been uncharted territory for Sabbath at the time. The intensity, excitement and magic these musicians create together just shines right through.

Many people automatically compare anything released under the Sabbath name to material the group created with its original line-up. Dio's style and subject matter is clearly quite different from that of original frontman Ozzy Osbourne. In the Dio era, he became the primary lyricist and a very significant contributor in writing the material. His lyrics always have a diverse and recognizable style which suit his masterful vocals ideally. When Dio collaborates with Iommi and Sabbath, the results of their labor are monumental -- memorable songs with the staying power to last for generations, though very different from the early Osbourne era, but equally inspirational and influential to followers of the genre. From the earliest tracks they wrote together, like the melodic and commercial gems Neon Knights and Children Of The Sea to bludgeoning creations like I, to the three newly born songs, everything flows with impeccable continuity, and the material created by this assemblage is some of Sabbath's best ever.

Timeless and refreshing. It's rare that you put on a greatest hits CD and it sounds new and fresh, even though you obviously know the songs. That is the case with Black Sabbath: The Dio Years. The songs are just as relevant today as they were when they were originally released in the '80s, and somehow, they do not sound dated, like many greatest hits collections do that simply take you back to recall a particular period in time. That said, perhaps this music was just ahead of its time, or with the resurgence of metal, audiences are ready and hungry for it. While it's possible that this disc may not have been appreciated or praised by unfamiliar audiences if it had been released during the grunge or nu-metal eras, timing for its release now is appropriate, and the songs are still first-rate amongst the metal of today. Though there's no denying that early Sabbath played an essential role in shaping the sound of hard rock and heavy metal, in listening to the tracks from the Dio era, you can hear just how much this incarnation of Sabbath had also influenced much of today's metal and so many bands that emerged in between the early days of the original lineup and present day metal. As a teen, I grew up listening to these songs on vinyl, playing them endlessly. But once CDs became the standard format, all the vinyl got tucked away and many much-loved albums were either retired and repurchased on CD, or waited in the wings to be remastered and released on CD. Well, now the wait is finally over, and it's well worth grabbing this disc. This is a long overdue package that acknowledges some of Sabbath's strongest material -- tracks that enabled the band to grow dynamically, as well as to achieve commercial success and lead the next generation of metalheads into a new decade. The three new tracks are most definitely a special treat and they fit in perfectly with the rest of the album. It's as if the band picked up exactly where they had left off 14 years ago. No disrespect to Ozzy, but let's hope that the guys decide to keep the party going and record a full-length album of new material together. For now, metal fans have this one to savor. It's a must-have.

Pepperommi
    fender24_70
    he will never be as good as ozzy was with them. I wont be buying that cd. i cant think of one song i like by them with him.
    Born 2 Slash
    I love this greatest hits CD. I am new fan of this Black Sabbath Era. I love the new songs. They are really heavy and melodic. I am going to see Black Sabbath in May at PNC Bank Center in NJ which I won the tickets from a radio station. Can't wait to hear some of these songs in the concert.
    Highwaytohell
    nuclearpickle1 wrote: Dio is the ugliest piece of crap on the planet. Nonetheless, Dio freakin' rocks!
    lemmy is uglier. BUT! I dio rocks harder. Some sabbath "purists" refuse to accept him. But how many singers has sabbath had, like what, 6?! Get over it and rock. Bands take new musical directions with new members, and people need to understand that. DIO ROCKS!
    nAILZ
    HE WAS AMAZING IN CONCERT!!!! he looks like the dwarf in that lame movie "willow". but he is still amazing.
    wabusy3
    I prefer ozzy over dio but dio is alright for a midget, too bad ian gillian didn't do more albums with sabbath, then we could have the best of the gillian years.
    Shazazmic
    Dio.. the shortest living legend alive! Except for Kenny Baker and Weeman...
    Cobalt Blue
    Pepperommi wrote: Dio's pretty good but Sabbath with Ozzy is just so much better. Saw the H&H show in Van with down and megadeth. Down was freakin amazing as was Sabbath. Megadeth failed to really blow me away.
    what he said... except when i saw Heaven & Hell i was kinda let down. sounds quality was poor, and I don't think it was to much to ask to hear 1 classic sabbath song. personally i think Dio would have sounded amazing singing War Pigs..
    Musicfreakv2
    Saw these guys in Calgary was an amazing performance 11/10 all the way megadeth was pretty wicked too, complete shred
    Big Tommy P
    just in case youse didn't know, Ozzy didn' write lyrics for Sabbath, Geezer did, so if you compare the Osbourne era to the Dio era (which is quite absurd if you aske me, why compare two great frontmen) you are comparing Ronnie James Dio and Geezer Butler's lyrical abilities. anyway, sounds like a good album, i just wish those damn cd shops would get some good old stuff instead of all this new crap (except DRAGONFORCE, they rock)
    Pepperommi
    Big Tommy P wrote: just in case youse didn't know, Ozzy didn' write lyrics for Sabbath, Geezer did, so if you compare the Osbourne era to the Dio era (which is quite absurd if you aske me, why compare two great frontmen) you are comparing Ronnie James Dio and Geezer Butler's lyrical abilities.
    I wasn't comparing ozzy era lyrics to dio era lyrics. I was comparing them in a manner of who sounds right with the band and in my opinion it's ozzy. But yes geezer(and i knew he was the main lyricist during ozzy's time with the band) is a better lyricist than dio and ozzy wrote the lyrics to the first ever metal song :Black Sabbath.
    TehLukeh
    I hated this album. Neon Knights sounds suspiciously like Foot Loose.
    Nightstrider
    Wha? From a techincal standpoint, Dio is MUCH better than Ozzy. Hell, anyway you examine it, Dio is better. Now granted, classic Sabbath suits Ozzy's voice, but come on...
    Bloodandfire
    Fuck yes! Personally, Dio's masterful work with sabbath is just as good as ozzy's work. i love them both. Buying this as soon as possible
    mfergel
    Will be curious to see how their new band (Heaven and Hell) works out.
    DavepallekA
    That sounds just great! Dio is awesome. Just as great as Ozzy was in Sabbath. I know Ozzy is a legend and one of the god fathers that created metal, but I think Dio may have even fit in Sabbath a little bit better in some ways. I dunno. He sure sounds better live now. That's for sure.
    Aleks-101
    Saw them in Quebec ! What an amazing night it was and their new songs are great too ! Dio is so much more tight than Ozzy !
    TOB00
    saw them in edmonton. it kinda sucked though cause all i really wanted to hear was paranoid but what can you do . . .
    Illigx
    Hear the three new songs on satellite all the time. They sucked, especially "The Devil Cried".
    RamonesRock
    i saw them in vancouver. it was theyre first live show for awhile and they blew me away. the new songs kick ass.
    Chewy120
    u have a point
    opiate666
    i saw heaven and hell a couple two weeks ago with megadeth it was out of this ****ing world