We Sold Our Soul For Rock 'N' Roll review by Black Sabbath

• Released: Jan 1, 1975
Black Sabbath: We Sold Our Soul For Rock 'N' Roll

I bought this album yesterday and now its like the 10th time I listened to this cd. Every Black Sabbath fan needs to own this 1970~1976 greatest hits album. Its had 3 hits from the selftitled debut, 4 hits from 2nd album Paranoid, 2 hits from 3rd Master of Reality, 3 hits from Vol.4, the title track to 5th album Sabbath Bloody Sabbath, and 1 track from 6th album Sabatoge. The 3 tracks from the debut album were, obviously, the very first of their work, so the sound is not very great in detail, but was decently heavy and awesome. No Sabbath fan can resist the sound in the Paranoid tracks, more detailed and more heavier. Now, in my opinion, on the Master of Reality tracks "Sweet Leaf" and "Children Of The Grave", Sabbath originally recorded on a very sludgy, raw, heavy volume, but was processed on CD with less than intended detail. The guitars sounded like it was played through a bass amp or something. These tracks are best enjoyed if you blow out your speakers to extremely high volumes. "Snowblind" (off Vol.4) has one of the catchiest riffs possible, and there is a song called "Changes" on that same original album that was all singing and piano and at first you won't think its Sabbath until Ozzy sings. "Sabbath Bloody Sabbath" became my new favorite song when I first heard it yesterday. That was an intense, powerful sonofab. The song "Am I Going Insane (Radio)" off the Sabatoge album, you might first think, was supposed to be a dance-track. Its goofy, epsecially the ending, where 2 idiots start cackling for no reason, but its still a hit in my list.

Ozzy's voice was different in the first-album songs (deeper), but it became lighter on all the rest. I have no problem with either of the voices. The lyrics speak of war and destruction ("War Pigs" off Paranoid), drug love and addiction ("Sweet Leaf" off Master of Reality and "Snowblind" off Vol.4), being paranoid-crazy or something ("Paranoid" and "Am I Going Insane (Radio)"), and satanic powers ("Black Sabbath"(the song) and "N.I.B."). I would consider them warnings rather than inducements. Great work, actually. I like how the lyrics are usually serious.

This was Sabbath's first Gratest Hits album, so if you want more than just 14 tracks like on this one, buy 'Best of Black Sabbath' or 'Symptom of the Universe 1970~'78' or Sabbath's actual studio albums or something, but to get you started off, I would recommend this. There is not a thing really wrong about this album. Black Sabbath are the founders of heavy metal, and this expresses a lot of those features. So trash your Limp Bizkit CDs and go to the stores to buy a heavy dose of Black Sabbath with 'We Sold Our Soul For Rock N' Roll'!