We Sold Our Soul For Rock 'N' Roll Review

artist: Black Sabbath date: 11/07/2006 category: compact discs
Black Sabbath: We Sold Our Soul For Rock 'N' Roll
Released: Feb 1976
Genre: Rock
Tones: Hostile, Angry, Bleak, Rebellious, Visceral, Malevolent, Nihilistic, Paranoid, Menacing
Styles: Heavy Metal, British Metal
 Lyrics: 9.8
 9.5
 9.6
 9.4
We Sold Our Soul For Rock 'N' Roll Reviewed by: Ratiug318, on november 18, 2003

Sound: This is the band that pretty much made metal. They are by far the most influencial band ever, and they are at their best in this album. Tony Iommi's solos are some of my favorite guitar solos that I have ever heard (remember when bands used to have guitar solos?). Key tracks: "Iron Man", "War Pigs", "Sabbath, Bloody Sabbath". This is a very diverse album. For example, in the song "Sabbath, Bloody Sabbath" the verse is straight-forward rock 'n' roll. The chorus sounds like a classic rock song, and somewhat lighter feeling. After the second chorus there is an amazingly great sounding guitar solo, followed by one of the fvkking heaviest riffs ever written. // 10

Lyrics: This band's lyrics aren't the cliche "I hate you" or satanist lyrics of all these trendy nu-metal bands of today. Ozzy sings about everything from love to drugs to war; he sings about things that actually mean something. He's also got one of the best voices for a metal band. // 10

Overall Impression: All in all, this album is definitely worth buying. For those of you who would rather listen to nu-metal, THIS IS THE BAND THAT MADE METAL. Nu-metal bands are the ones that are ruining Black Sabbath's creation. Put away your SlipKnot CD's and go get this CD. You'll wonder how SlipKnot could turn Black Sabbath's creation of heavy metal into a pile of crap. // 10

We Sold Our Soul For Rock 'N' Roll Reviewed by: PsychoWolfD, on may 24, 2004

Sound: I bought this album yesterday and now its like the 10th time I listened to this cd. Every Black Sabbath fan needs to own this 1970~1976 greatest hits album. Its had 3 hits from the selftitled debut, 4 hits from 2nd album Paranoid, 2 hits from 3rd Master of Reality, 3 hits from Vol.4, the title track to 5th album Sabbath Bloody Sabbath, and 1 track from 6th album Sabatoge. The 3 tracks from the debut album were, obviously, the very first of their work, so the sound is not very great in detail, but was decently heavy and awesome. No Sabbath fan can resist the sound in the Paranoid tracks, more detailed and more heavier. Now, in my opinion, on the Master of Reality tracks "Sweet Leaf" and "Children Of The Grave", Sabbath originally recorded on a very sludgy, raw, heavy volume, but was processed on CD with less than intended detail. The guitars sounded like it was played through a bass amp or something. These tracks are best enjoyed if you blow out your speakers to extremely high volumes. "Snowblind" (off Vol.4) has one of the catchiest riffs possible, and there is a song called "Changes" on that same original album that was all singing and piano and at first you won't think its Sabbath until Ozzy sings. "Sabbath Bloody Sabbath" became my new favorite song when I first heard it yesterday. That was an intense, powerful sonofab. The song "Am I Going Insane (Radio)" off the Sabatoge album, you might first think, was supposed to be a dance-track. Its goofy, epsecially the ending, where 2 idiots start cackling for no reason, but its still a hit in my list. // 10

Lyrics: Ozzy's voice was different in the first-album songs (deeper), but it became lighter on all the rest. I have no problem with either of the voices. The lyrics speak of war and destruction ("War Pigs" off Paranoid), drug love and addiction ("Sweet Leaf" off Master of Reality and "Snowblind" off Vol.4), being paranoid-crazy or something ("Paranoid" and "Am I Going Insane (Radio)"), and satanic powers ("Black Sabbath"(the song) and "N.I.B."). I would consider them warnings rather than inducements. Great work, actually. I like how the lyrics are usually serious. // 10

Overall Impression: This was Sabbath's first Gratest Hits album, so if you want more than just 14 tracks like on this one, buy 'Best of Black Sabbath' or 'Symptom of the Universe 1970~'78' or Sabbath's actual studio albums or something, but to get you started off, I would recommend this. There is not a thing really wrong about this album. Black Sabbath are the founders of heavy metal, and this expresses a lot of those features. So trash your Limp Bizkit CDs and go to the stores to buy a heavy dose of Black Sabbath with 'We Sold Our Soul For Rock N' Roll'! // 10

We Sold Our Soul For Rock 'N' Roll Reviewed by: unregistered, on september 07, 2005

Sound: I have heard Sabbath on the radio once and a while but I never got into the band until I bought We Sold Our Souls For Rock & Roll. The sound of this album which is mixed up of their hits from 1970-1976 is very unique as they were the only band making music like this back then. They literaly invented metal. The sound recording on the record is outdated but what do you expect? They are from the '70s. // 10

Lyrics: Ozzy's lyrics really go along with the music well. Very druggy and dark but still has a bit of meaning. My personnal favourite song War Pigs has lyrics all about war and the waste of life it all is. While Children Of The Grave is all about nuclear destruction and wether the world will end up being destroyed by the bombs. Strong lyrics considering it was written during the superweapon control rush. I think the lyrics on this album suit the music well so ill give it a 5. // 10

Overall Impression: This is a great album if you want to get into Sabbath. It has 14 great songs which include the hits from Paranoid and Master Of Reality. I don't know Sabbath well enough to name the other albums. Iommi is a guitar genious and I have spent my days figuring out War Pigs, Fairies Wear Boots, Black Sabbath, and Sabbath Bloody Sabbath. If it were stolen I'd pound the thiefs nuts in and take it back, it is a worthy buy. I highly recommend this album! // 10

We Sold Our Soul For Rock 'N' Roll Reviewed by: Shreddin 4 Life, on november 07, 2006

Sound: A great compilation of some of the defining moments in the earliest stages of metal music. A lot of these tunes belong alongside some of the classics churned out by early Deep Purple & Led Zeppelin. Tony Iommi's signature guitar styles of both riffage & soloing could not have been better exemplified in my opinion when it comes to a list of songs, as well as Ozzy's unique style & approaches to singing. Many classic songs are present such as "Paranoid", "Iron Man" and of course their title song: "Black Sabbath". Lots of musical innovations in terms of sound and creativity (from its time of course). Anyone looking to find out what the earliest stages and sounds of metal were, should look no further than this CD. Being very influencial & classic-sounding in terms of heavy music everywhere, I'd have to rate this very highly. // 8

Lyrics: Ozzy's vocals never quite interested me (or impressed me for that matter). However, this collection really seems to display the range that he had back in the day, from the title song up until "Sabbath Bloody Sabbath." That alone impressed me even though I was never fond of his vocal abilities. Plus, the overall "new" ideas in the lyrics that they wrote are just killer (which would later on became the "doom metal" style if I'm not mistaken). All in all, great vocals & lyrics in these tunes. // 9

Overall Impression: Over all a great collection of classic metal. It really gives you a good idea of what early Sabbath was like and what very early metal was like too. However, I think that a little exploration of all of the Ozzy-era albums deserve a personal checking out because not all of the great Ozzy tunes are touched on in this collection in my opinion. My favourite tunes are "Children Of The Grave", "The Wizard", "Sweet Leaf", "Snowblind" & "Sabbath Bloody Sabbath." Along with a few other tunes that I'm quite fond of as well--they're all great really. Not much missing from this album like I mentioned before, but again: check out the earlier full-length albums. Finally, this is a very inexpensive, easy-to-find album, so if it were damaged, I'd pick up a new copy (especially since I have all the original albums anyways). // 8

Comments