Black Stone Cherry review by Black Stone Cherry

• Released: Jul 18, 2006
Black Stone Cherry: Black Stone Cherry

The reason this album reeks of that 70's southern hard rock with songs like rollin' on and Tired of the Rain. The band are of course the sons and relations of The Kentucky Headhunters and you can tell that the parents have been obvserving Black Stone Cherry's down tuned southern inspired riffs and solo's very closely. Black Stone Cherry are not here to mess about from the first track Rain Wizard you are hit in the face and its freakin' awesome. Heavy complex drumming from John Fred Young hits you dead set between the eyes and as soon as Chris Robertson shouts the heaven's "HERE COMES THE RAIN!" you know your about to be thundered. C# riffs with a southern flavour sprinkled on. Lovely.

I do believe that Black Stone Cherry's legendary parents may have rubbed off here. Chris Robertson sings the words he's written like his life depends on it. The brilliant thing is, the lyrics stick in your head like a big axe. The chorus's are strong, beefy and lyricaly brilliant. They make use of using strong words that will stick in your head. These are stadium songs with stadium lyrics that you want to scream to the heaven's at Donington Park and Wembley Stadium. Its genius.

Every song on this album is a screemer. Absolutley awesome. Apart from one song which I just felt diden't need to be there. The album up to that point is a Harley Davidson speeding down route 66 which then suddenly hits a bump in the road and bursts a tyre. Why cover a Yardbirds song? Shapes of things just does not fit on this album. Despite this Rain Wizard (the opening track) is a killer song, a set opener, the sort of song that tells your audience this is what we do and we aint gunna' mess about doing it. The other two singles Lonely Train and Hell and High Water prove the musicianship of the band and how clever these four boys from Edmonton, Kentucky really are. If your a Lynyrd Skynyrd fan, You will love this album. If your a Blackfoot fan you will love this album. If you are a Metallica fan you will love this album. If you are a Aerosmith fan you will love this album. Its Heavy Southern Rock and I freakin' love it.

coco-axeman
    tboat wrote: Satchpwnsnoobs wrote: Am I the only one who realised that "Lonely Train" is BLS's Bleed for Me with different lyrics. No one else seems to notice. I saw then in Athens, GA and thought they were doing a cover for the song haha. Listen to the mains riffs for the both songs or look at the tabs. 1 note difference. That being said, they aren't too bad. ur right the riff sounds alot alike but in my opinion this is a much better song
    Besides, lots of songs have similar, if not identical, parts. Check out the apparently overused 2 minutes to midnight riff on youtube or compare the chord progressions of rocking in the free world, nutshell, your decision and polly.