Folklore And Superstition review by Black Stone Cherry

• Released: Aug 19, 2008
  • Reviewer's score: 6.3 Neat
Black Stone Cherry: Folklore And Superstition

Many among classic rock revivalists have been waiting with baited breath for Black Stone Cherry to follow up 2006's self titled debut, with the sense that this was a band on the verge of greatness. With a title like that you'd be forgiven for thinking this was a bonafide southern rock classic. Opener "Blind Man" may hit as hard as anything from the last record, but don't let that fool you; this is a very different affair. Once you get onto showpiece single "Please Come In," you realise that this is a band that has significantly changed it's direction. The song may have a catchy chorus and riff but somehow the two never quite gel. Once the new sound fails it leaves you with low expectations for the rest of the album.

Much of the impetus for this change has apparently come from frontman Chris Robertson. Other stinkers on this 13 track disk include Things My Father Said, Peace Is Free and You. After each the rest of the band does their best to recover the momentum by delivering a couple of swaggering rockers reminiscent of the first album but Robertson's repeatedly insists on adding the occasional cringy ballad every few songs, killing the momentum of the disc in it's cradle. As a lyricist he is far better when he's being obscure and conceptual (like on Rain Wizard) than he is with this kind of thing, which leaves him sounding worrying reminiscent of Creed's Scott Stapp.

What fans want out of Black Stone Cherry is an album they can put on loud and leave playing without worrying about it. If you try to do that with Folklore And Superstition you will find yourself running back to the stereo to turn down the volume and skip songs. There are some good rockers to be found here, but Robertson's efforts to find the band a breakthrough single, though well intentioned, have ultimately failed.

PouPiam
    Garbage review. I give it a 7 at bare minimum. "Things My Father Said" makes me cry like a bitch every time I listen to it.
    :.RaZoRbAcK.:
    I LOVE this album, I think the solo on "You" more than makes up for the cheesy lyrics. It seems as this reviewer dislikes anything a band that does different. Shame really, it's a great album, and their missing out on a great deal of it.
    tremonti9482
    Wow, I thought this was an outstanding album. The ballads showed they have matured and created a more unique and broader sound. They put their own twist on the usual soft ballads, I loved it. I'd give it an 8 at the lowest.
    citykidd86
    The ***** who did this review doesn't know their ass from their elbow. I thought the first album was great, but the new album is amazing. I hear a band who has grown and matured. I think every track on this album kicks ass. I remember reading interviews with the band when the first album came out and they would note Lynyrd Skynyrd,Zeppelin,The Stones, Aerosmith as influences and I couldn't really hear that in the first album, but with Folklore those influences really shine through. As a songwriter and musician myself, I think the songs are well written and arranged. I would put it up as one of the best albums of the year. Anyways, thats my two cents worth.