Folklore And Superstition review by Black Stone Cherry

• Released: Aug 19, 2008
Black Stone Cherry: Folklore And Superstition

This is Black Stone Cherry's second album and on it the band certainly have a more mature sound. They managed to rope in Bob Marlette to produce the album and his contribution is denfinitley audible. Now, I have to admit that at first I wasn't exactly pushed on the idea of a band's second album being based around a concept but it works pretty well and the concept and sound suit the band. The opening song "Blind Man" is quite like the song off their first album and as a single probably gives off the wrong impression of the album as a whole. The next track "Please Come In" goes in a completely different direction. The song is almost over-produced with backing vocals, different instruments and effects and it seems as though the band wrote the song as a type of overture for the rest of the album and as such is a bit all over the place with it's heavy riff not blending to well into the bridge and ballad-esque chorus. "Reverend Wrikle" is has an almost undescribable rock/metal/folk sound to it and an epic chorus. "Soulcreek" is probably the weakest song on the album and seems a bit like the first BSC album by numbers. Then comes thier first ballad. A lot of people and magazines have complained about the ballads and the amount of them on this album but "Things My Father Said" is an exellent first attempt.I read a review recently of this album and the reviewer claimed that on this song Chris Robertson sounds like Ronan Keating, and to be honest he does, on every track!! Chris Robertson is the Ronan Keating of the rock world! "The Bitter End" is an exellent brooding melodyolic almost metal song and anyone who's heard Marlette's work on Alice Cooper's Brutal Planet or Dragontown will be able to pick out the haunting backing vocals and distancing effects he uses here. "Long Sleves" and "Peace is Free" are two songs similar in theme and sound. They blend folky/revolution themes with classic hard rock. "Devil's Queen" would not have been out of place on BSC's first album but has an exellent ghost ship quality to it and although it is one of the albm's strongest songs it will probably be overshadowed by the rest of the album and be forgotten. "The Key" is a great swap-rock style song and features a spooky hoe-down. "You" is the album's final ballad a features some playfull, if if not exactly incredibly impressive, use of instruments. "Sunrise" has the paced aggression of "The Bitter End" but has a bridge that borders regae. The album comes to a crackling finish with "The Ghost of Folyd Collins" the story of a trapped miner.

The lyrics on the album get a bit cheesy at times but never take it too far. The best lryics on the album are no doubt on "The Key" with a few song like "Devil's Queen", "Ghost of Flyod Collins" and admittedly "Things My Father Said" if only for the fact that they convey emotions very well. Chris Robertson's voice never faults on this album but is probably not as extravagant or powerfull as on "BSC" and it does suit the darker theme and songs on the album. One vocal aspect of the album htat dissapointed me was that although titled "Folklore and Superstition" on a good few song as story was suggested but never expanded on or developed.

Although more mature, I don't think this album is as good as "BSC". My favorite songs on the album are "Blind Man" "Devil's Queen" "Sunrise" and "Ghost of Floyd Collins". Overall it's a good concept album but I'd prefer to see the next album as more rock'n'roll and Led Zepplin style than this. If you don't already have the first album (and like ACDC Led Zepplin Lynard Skynard or any classic rock style music) get that first.

JD Blue Venom
    i thought the new album would go country and acoustic n be boring but it has just the badassness as the first and some more minty stuff in there, good job BSC
    WyldeMan666
    dude the guitarist really got better i thought his leads were a little redundant on the first album but i saw them with black label society a year or 2 ago it was a bad assed show
    Lin
    totenkopfSG wrote: you reviewers have obviously never seen BSC live.
    ShadesOfNight
    Hadnt actually heard these guys until i saw them at Download this year, and they ****ing blew me away. Immediately went and got this and the first album in the same shop on the same day. As for comparing them....i couldnt pick which one is best. Both are phenomenally good
    nzhead
    I like this album, and the songs I like I like more than the songs I liked on the first album (if that makes sense) - but I do think there is some filler on this album - namely "You" and "Things my Father Said" whereas the first album was more consistant from start to finish...
    Rock? Anyone
    Nzhead, I have not heard the whole album but I believe that "You" and "Things My Father Said" are not filler
    theflamingyouth
    Lin wrote: totenkopfSG wrote: you reviewers have obviously never seen BSC live. And there was me thinking I was reviewing an album, not a gig. 6.3 does not mean i think it's a bad album. That score should be considered average or mixed. Now I know why no one tries writing objective reviews here; they just get shot down by fanboys. Hell, even UG themselves won't put a review on the front page unless it's all 8s, 9s and 10s. It makes me wonder what the point of the reviews section is. It's not like anyone who has read more than 2 would consider it a good source for advice.
    Completely agree although i think it's a better album than reviewed.
    Nirvanarien
    LOL i think we can't all aggree on this one.... Its just diffrent the self titeld..... My favorite song is ''Sunrise'' dunno why ''Sunrise'' is just awesome so to all who havent listend to the whole thing yet youve got to check tht one out(toke away all my doubts about this album wich i had at first)
    SG-Burchett
    this album is awesome-dunno what 3rd review guy is talkin about-kudos though-everyone has their own opinion. although i agree that this album is in need of a few less balladish songs and more heavy rockers like on the first album, the heavey rockers on this album are much better kicking the ass of most of the stuff on the previous album (with exception to backwoods gold off the old album-which is one hell of an awesome song). the reggae bit in sunrise leaves me a bit like WAT??? (good song though) and soulcreek drifts in to averageness. the solos have improved though.
    will-loves-zep
    black stone are awesome, i rate both very highly. once you hear these 'ballads' live you're opinion will change.