Light From Above review by Black Tide

• Released: Feb 11, 2008
Black Tide: Light From Above

First things first, the singer / lead guitarist has now just turned 15. Take that into consideration when first listening to this young band (average age is around 19-20) and behold how stellar they are as musicians. Then again, some may see this factor as the selling point and hook to the band - but meh, it's the music they create that should be acknowledged. As expected with a world where production is becoming sharper and cleaner, every instrument sounds tip-top on 'Light From Above'. Every palm-muted guitar riff or squeeling solo is crisp, with the bass rumble not overshadowed by too harshly by the drums. It's pretty easy to pick out everyone playing too. The only problem here is with vocals - some words are hard to pick out but this simply due to Gabriel's style and this probably his choice if anything.

The lyrics are pretty cliche and simplistic throughout. I don't really know how I feel about them, as they're not wonderful but do it for me when set against the music and they each compliment each other well. There are lots of sing-along chorus opportunities (which is always good to me) and you definately won't sit around scratching your head deciphering what particular lyrics mean. A few of the songs are based around warriors and battling and such - like Iron Maiden for example. Some are about girls and just being an angry teenager. So yeah, don't be expecting to find deep lyrics with long words where you'll sit trying to find a meaning. If you like simple, catchy choruses then this will do it for you.

It's awesome. It's that simple. Air-guitar inducing solos, sing-along chorus and headbanging tunes, it's pretty much THE sort of metal / rock band everyone can openly listen too. It doesn't shut out anyone (unless you're a believer of metal being all hardcore and shit) and is simply a fun little CD I'm in love with right now. If they can keep this up then they'll make it no problems.

swift2k8
    First thing is first...you shouldn't consider their age at all. This band being young is THE only reason they are popular. I'm sick and tired of hearing their name. Their music is mediocre at best. They are nothing of their influences either. All they do is take in an idea, shit on it, and over produce it in the studio.
    kennyvspenny
    i agree with the majority on this one. nothing about this band is exciting except the fact that one day they won't be making music anymore.
    RageAgainst...
    just listened to them for the first time...the singing sounds ridiculously over-produced and the lyrics are pretty god awful. the only saving grace is the guitar playing but the leads all sound really recycled. IMO they're basically a dime-a-dozen 80's hard rock band who wouldn't be popular at all if it weren't for their age, but someone will probably say i'm just jealous. maybe they'll get better in time but they're nothing special right now.
    DimebagRob
    RenegadeDave wrote: PS. Anyone else see the irony of a at the time 14 year old kid releasing a CD that bears the "Parental Advisory" label?
    Thats exactly what I thought
    webbtje
    First things first, the singer/lead guitarist has now just turned 15. Take that into consideration when first listening to this young band and behold how stellar they are as musicians.
    OK, I'm sorry, I don't care how old they are, they are very average at what they do, and what they do has been done and redone since the mid-80s. There is simply no way that argument is valid in any way whatsoever.
    RenegadeDave
    RenegadeDave
    will_it?
    whatiaminstead
    UltimateNirvana wrote: theres still ALOT of people who love that 80s metal sound...im one of them dammit.
    hey, you're talking to a hardcore Metallica and Maiden fan here. but i really don't see Gabriel or Alex developing into Hammett or Harris. meet that halfway with modern pop-punk/emo lyrics and you have a genre thats more along the lines of "PREPPY POWER!!!" Maiden and Metallica had some of the greatest poetry ever. i listen through the album and all i get is prose written by a kid bored to death in english class and sung over guitar riffs that don't end up going anywhere. its not that i don't think that Black Tide has their place or their audience. im happy for their success. but NOT with them being compared to Metallica, Maiden, Sabbath, or anyone who's truly amazing.
    bootyking69
    will_it? wrote: dude, black tide is recycled shit. they are their influences, re-made into an urban, shittier version. And as for that '15-year old singer', so what? They still sound just excessively bunk. God-damn, the shit isn't even metal. Sorry, but I can't find it in me to share love for these sad attempts at stardom. FUCK THE ALLIANCE.
    +100,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,001
    whatiaminstead
    the only thing that borderline makes me jealous is knowing that i have better material than what i hear from them and yet they have the resources to make it big. these guys really prove that the industry is no longer about music and talent, but about connections, who you know, and some little hook that makes you "different". having a 15 year old guitar player/singer who is every bit as good as he or anyone else should be at that age playing as long as any of them have, market him right, and you have a hit. personally, i think Arctic Monkeys are brilliant. they started when they were all around 20, and (the kicker) none of them had been playing their instruments more than a year when they cut their first album. but it was not only catchy and well-done with great talent but *gasp* it was thoughtful and deep and *double gasp* they're great live. i am not jealous of Black Tide's talent. there's nothing to be jealous of. im frustrated by the marketing of the industry.
    Axe_Burner
    A lot of people seem to have a major problem with 80's Metal- Geez! I didn't realize it was such a sin to sound like an 80's metal band. While Black Tide aren't exactly breaking much new ground, they've got a good sound and some catchy songs. I like the fact that they have that 80's guitar sound, and it doesn't bother me that they're young. No, they're not musical geniuses, but at the end of the day they're playing good stuff, and I say props to them.
    UltimateNirvana
    this album is great. i think its awesome that this band is bringing metal back to its glory days. everyone here has to admit that todays metal just isnt as good as it was in the 80s and theres still ALOT of people who love that 80s metal sound...im one of them dammit.
    whatiaminstead
    and yes, i laugh out loud at the PA sticker. mostly because, unlike most artists who use gratuitous profanity that gets in the way of the music, this kid is actually the age appropriate to his junior high vocabulary.
    Tumble-weed
    Wow...this band is really really generic. They sound like a crappy 80's hair metal band. I don't care that they're all under 20. I know some friends who are under 20 who make some really kickass melodic death metal. So them being young and somehow making it in the music business doesn't mean they're good. It just means some people don't want to mature or grow up when it comes to musical tastes...
    Glam-Hammer
    Funny you should be touting Maiden because when they started they were thought as a rip off of another band at the time...look where that got them.
    PouPiam
    Agreed: they suck. They were a classic rock cover band called Radio (yeah, REAL ****ing metal sounding name) until some exec. saw them perform and knew that he could sell their age. Teach them to play a few pentatonics fast, give them lots of cash to record with, layer their songs with 6 pitch corrected vocal tracks at once (yes kids, that's how they get their vocal sound and that's why they sound like shit live) It's not that their sound is dated or whatever, I'll give it to them they've got a few good catchy songs, but they don't deserve the attention they're getting when there's other people their age (like me ) that deserve just as much of a chance as they do. Is there some jealousy there? Well shit yes, I would love to be playing Ozzfest at 17, but these guys are fabricated. I however, am not. myspace.com/poupiam poupiam.com
    Fatally Jon
    Black Tide isn't breaking any barriers or setting new standards or anything. But personally, it's very refreshing to hear metal that's fun again. Metal these days gets too bogged down in "the scene"/image, or in being extremely technical. So for me, it's good, clean metal that everyone can enjoy.
    apocalypse4life
    cmon u have to give black tide credit i mean they are an up an coming band i mean metallica didnt sound that good when kill em all came out in 83 but ppl could relate to the music it wasnt about girls girls girls it was about life and living it to the fullest. i can see that these guys are going to rock on for a long time and im going to continue to listen to them
    Viking_Swede666
    down n dirty wrote: how can you guys say they suck? they are all under 20 and are doin better then u guys... youre all just jealous cuz you aren't selling millions of records
    they aren't selling millions of records lol but yeah, some people might say I'm jelous as well, but I'm really not, I mean, I think it's cool that they get to do all this at such a young age, but the fact is, their music is mediocre at best, definitly wouldn't buy the album, or download it now go listen to some KALMAH!!!
    Glam-Hammer
    ^lol, gtfo with your lame music which will NEVER get recognition...burns doesnt it?
    2nite2nite12
    Glam-Hammer
    2nite2nite12 : Go listen to their songs. They're great. End of story. Their music may sound like hair metal, but there isn't too much of that around today anyway lol...
    / discussion
    Bassface01
    After reading most of these reviews heres what i think... Some people are right that black tide does sound like their "influences" and aren't really hiiting new ground. If you really want to be famous, do the hendrix and just blow peoples minds with something unheard of. And it could be possible that their vocals are redone with all the mastering tech they have these days. I am happy for their success and I did enjoy their album, but I honestly think they might end up a Hinder like band with like one hit and then they'll barely be heard of again unless they seriously mov forward and make something a little more origional. Overall though I enjoyed the album and is good for something a little different every once in a while.
    MoBscene
    this is their first album im srue the next one will be better. but this one FAILED.
    jthm_guitarist
    This album is so good. I have very particular tastes when it comes to modern metal, and I hardly gave them a listen before I bought their album. It is always in heavy rotation right up there with Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, Metallica and the like.
    Guitarfreak777
    I saw them live and I wasn't that impressed with the sound, could barely hear the lyrics and I had heard a few off their myspace site and thought they were okay but sounded to much like Iron Maiden for my tastes (no offense to any Iron Maiden lovers) Although, they had a pretty big energy on stage, got the crowd going. All in all though, I say it's a phenominal start for this band because they are very young. But they definately have A LOT of room to improve both on singing lyrically wise and live wise.
    cotton3434
    Oh... and that was @ down n dirty, btw. I have no idea if they're bad or not, since I haven't listened to them. My guess is that they aren't horrible, but are too generic to be good. And apparantly they suck live.
    Jawshuwa
    Haven't heard anything by them, but I wouldn't hate them for making money off of playing music, when I'm not; I'd hate them for making shitty music, which is all everyone is saying. Jealousy ? Lmfao. Just accept that they hate their music, dude.
    MusicianMan13 wrote: First of all...they ARE metal...maybe not what any of you freaks call metal but they are. Do you call ACDC heavy meyal, probably not but they are either way. And as for the singer. The kid has pipes! The band is incredible. All three times i have seen them live they ruled. The solos kill and the music is unique...it is not following this trend of screaming and the same old riffs. They are what hard rock/metal should sound like...to Tumble-weed and everybody else who thinks that shitty death metal even compares to this type of music, everyone has their opinions...just like me...but if you dont even like this style of music there is no point in even responding to the review...yea i am a metal head..i rock out to lamb of god, slipknot, korn, killswitch, soad....but this band kicks ass!!!!
    ...AC/DC is metal ? l0l. Slipknot, Korn, System of a Down ? Metal ? Nu metal, sure, but METAL ? No. Lamb of God and Killswitch ? Lmfao. I don't know why everyone thinks Lamb of God is so phenomenal; I find them uninspired and bland, and Killswitch sound the same on damn-near every single track. Their "Holy Diver" cover is the only thing worth mention.
    Billy Picken
    RenegadeDave wrote: I saw them play live back in November. I must say, they didn't have much of a live show and after hearing their live show and then hearing their studio tracks, they've got a lot of help in the studio.
    I agree. Live they really are not that good. Their album is okay, but nothing spectacular or special. Overhyped would be the proper term.
    MusicianMan13
    Build An Army
    I find this band to be suprisingly good but also quite generic at times. I think they use their unfluences alot in the album to satisfy some of their songs however my favourite song has to be Warriors Of Time, simply because I adore the intro
    Build An Army
    rocker20
    saw them in ozzfest for the oppining stage, they were crap i wish hatebread or devil driver opened the mainstadge instead
    trojanfan12
    yeah this album is awesome stop bashing them because you didn't make it at 15.. they're living the dream and making good music doing it so i'm happy for them
    Neverhead666
    This band is only popular because of the young singer. I bought the album hoping it was good, liked the opening track for a couple days, and then it just couldn't do anything for me. The album is very generic, and they can't produce what you hear on the album in their live shows. The band and it's music is very bland and mediocre, they're nothing but a publicity stunt so that the labels can make some money.
    cloud041089
    enough with the "omg ur jealous" comments. maybe they are jealous, but just because they're young it doesnt mean people cant have an opinion. anyways this band is okay, i think they have time to mature.
    Habs
    I bet they didnt even composed or arranged anything.. their producer wrote the songs..
    martyr1130
    haha, its amazing how many people say to ignore their age, and just look at their 'shitty' music. Dude this music shits all over you. It is amazing! and why ignore their age? because the rest of us teenagers haven't made it yet? dude give them credit. What they have done in their short time is incredible. I see alot of jealousy and hypocrisy in these posts.
    Ardie12
    i thought the album was really good, i think it had a nice rock sound, the vocals and solos are a little cliche but i really like it
    DjBane
    IMO they are damn good for their age. Their music will mature as they grow up, hopefully they'll get heavier. I'm kinda digging 'Shockwave', great guitar work IMO. Overall the album is kinda generic, still not bad tho and damn sure better than any other 15 yr old band.
    down n dirty
    cotton3434
    Uh... if they aren't good, they aren't good. Hannah Montana sells millions of albums, but that sure as hell doesnt make her good. AND she's under 20. It's pretty easy to say they suck. Age and albums sold has nothing to do with it. Sure, they made it, but so did Dragonforce, Fall Out Boy and a lot of other shitty bands. Being popular doesn't mean being good. It just means you fit the trend of what people currently like.
    RX120D
    martyr1130 wrote: I see alot of jealousy and hypocrisy in these posts.