Light From Above review by Black Tide

• Released: Feb 11, 2008
Black Tide: Light From Above

The band's sound is a tasteful mix of thrash speed, Guns N' Roses catchyness/acessability, and face-ripping solos, with some chord progressions relating to Ascendancy-era Trivium and metalcore. They have a hard time finding where they settle in these almost complete opposites, especially going from "Shockwave" which is heavily Guns, to "Warriors Of Time" which has a Megadeth/Trivium vibe. But it should be considered that singer/guitarist/ mostly main writer Gabriel Garcia is only 15, and that alone should impress you when he rips your face with his leads. (14 at the time of release). The rest of the band are also solid players, but the real star here is Garcia.

I'll admit the lyrics could be of a higher quailty, but then again who the hell do you know who's 15 that can even deliver compotant lyrics? They're not bad, but they seem dated for the modern music scene. "Shockwave" is kind of like Old Megadeth with the violence and "Warriors Of Time" has cool power metal like lyrics, but again, metal has come a long way since then. Other songs seem to deal with the raging hormones of being young, like "Let Me" and "Give Me A Chance", but really, I write better lyrics and I'm younger than Garcia. But then again, they're not pretencious at all, they just tell the truth like a good punk rock record.It should be noted that Garcia has a GREAT voice, especially for someone his age. He sounds like a somewhat subdued Geddy Lee, and his range is more than perfect to fit the music. Good, but hopefully later releases will show growth here in the lyrics department. Great singing though.

Black Tide have a little bit of growth to do on their next records before truly being taken seriously by the Metal elite and their fans, but this record is solid, and confident, which is often a problem with debuts. They play like a band that has played for years, which is great, especially considering the age of the members. The "Hits" here are "Shockwave", "Warriors Of Time", the Metallica cover "Hit The Lights" (and I HATE Metallica, so hats off), and closer "Light From Above". They have the most confidence and recklesness. I love the fact that these guys are so good at their instruments, especially Garcia (like I said, it's all about him here.) The only thing I really don't like about this record, is that it could be, how do I say it, rawer? the songs are great but a little less radio rock/pop production sheen (Johny K of Disturbed/Godsmack fame DID produce this, so blame him), and a little more volume that doesn't come from my headphones would also be great. Well worth your money though, you should buy this, these guys definitely have a future. If it were stolen, I might take the initative to buy something else and wait for the hopefully better next record, but I definitely would replace it at some point. This is a great confident, entertaining metal record, someting which is pretty common but, the age of the band members really does make you wonder if other bands even compare to how great these kids will get to be. Looking forward to the future.

Slicer666
    Jawshuwa wrote: down n dirty wrote: how can you guys say they suck? they are all under 20 and are doin better then u guys... youre all just jealous cuz you aren't selling millions of records Haven't heard anything by them, but I wouldn't hate them for making money off of playing music, when I'm not; I'd hate them for making shitty music, which is all everyone is saying. Jealousy ? Lmfao. Just accept that they hate their music, dude. MusicianMan13 wrote: First of all...they ARE metal...maybe not what any of you freaks call metal but they are. Do you call ACDC heavy meyal, probably not but they are either way. And as for the singer. The kid has pipes! The band is incredible. All three times i have seen them live they ruled. The solos kill and the music is unique...it is not following this trend of screaming and the same old riffs. They are what hard rock/metal should sound like...to Tumble-weed and everybody else who thinks that shitty death metal even compares to this type of music, everyone has their opinions...just like me...but if you dont even like this style of music there is no point in even responding to the review...yea i am a metal head..i rock out to lamb of god, slipknot, korn, killswitch, soad....but this band kicks ass!!!! ...AC/DC is metal ? l0l. Slipknot, Korn, System of a Down ? Metal ? Nu metal, sure, but METAL ? No. Lamb of God and Killswitch ? Lmfao. I don't know why everyone thinks Lamb of God is so phenomenal; I find them uninspired and bland, and Killswitch sound the same on damn-near every single track. Their "Holy Diver" cover is the only thing worth mention.
    Nu Metal eh? like it or not, it is a metal subgenre, making metal. maybe the shittiest metal of all times for some, but it still is metal. period. also the holy diver cover is meh, KSE should stick with what they do best, making catchy metal WITHOUT solos, been like that for ages, but that's just how it should be. Also, somebody saw them last year... november? and the show was shitty? I saw them last june, thank god they improved lol, even though the only guitarist was the lead guitarist, it still was a great show, really got the crowd goin!
    travd92
    black tide is a product of a record label searching for some short little gimmick to boost record sales. its been said before, but this band plays through their influences and nothing else. there is no originality within this band.
    HellRaiser620
    You know, it's funny to see how people cry sellout at the drop of the hat just because the guys are young. I didn't love the album, but certain parts of it (especially the intro to Warriors of Time) showed a band that has the potential to become very good. Even if they are just a marketing ploy (which is an idiotic idea, that's not how record labels work, folks), it's great that they have a chance to have their music heard by hundreds of thousands of people. I sure wish I could say the same. I'd also like to point out that none of the guys in Black Tide have had formal training as musicians, so of course they're not the best players ever. Judging their skill against guys in music school is kind of silly, when you think about it. You don't have to like their album, but at least give them a little credit for accomplishing so much.
    shadowsoverhell
    honestly, its okay. however they remind me a LOT of early Helloween on their Walls of Jericho debut LP. except for Helloween actually wrote all their own songs without having more well-known "metal" musicians (like Joey Jordison) come in and redo entire tracks and arrangements for them in the studio. Also kind of sad considering this Gabriel cat could only acheive the shitty quality of Kai Hansen's voice on that album by way of overdubbing and pitch-correcting. do i think its unfair that these guys are getting their name out there because some jerkoff producer decided he could make some money off of marketing their IMAGE (**** the music, they got somebody else who knows what the hell theyre doing to take care of that)? yeah its unfair. its ****ing unfair to the poor kids who don't have any true fans, only a bunch of deluded suckers for well-targeted marketing schemes. it really sucks, but hey, the only way to get true fans is to be ****ing true to yourself. but if you dont give a **** about that, like they obviously don't, then go ahead and become the next factory-produced phenomenon aka SELL OUT. Black Tide is what a band looks like when all they care about is the fame/money/parties/whatever. Your not worth my time if you can't stand behind your own music with some ****ing conviction.
    axl-is-awesome
    idk wat everyones problem is theyre my favorite band and theres good reasoning behind it.....theyre amzingly good.i could care less if theyre young (yes its cool) but i dont care if theyre 40.they recorded one of the best albums in my opinion.
    Atmosmith
    This band is not good in my opinion. They think that if they say the word **** and pretend they are 30 then they are metal. Their music sounds much more like a bunch of amatuers trying to play rock tunes (which is what it is.) rather than a metal group. I don't care what age they are. They fail to make mature music and fail horribly in the songwriting department(all the songs sound the same). I am pissed off even more that they get away with having a metal label put on them. This album is a waste of money and time.
    MetalliRage
    great album. i'v listened to it a couple times through. i'm seeing them tommorow at mayhem.(im missing slipknot laer that night since im driving to jones beach later in the day o see the sone temple pilots. im seeing to big concerts in one day. big day ahead of me tommorow lol.
    TheTroy
    i didnt really think i would like this band but their cd really impressed me. i thought it was a great album
    FeiRei
    Wasn't Trivium in their teens when they Released their first two albums?
    oldschoolthrash
    First of all...they ARE metal...maybe not what any of you freaks call metal but they are. Do you call ACDC heavy meyal, probably not but they are either way. And as for the singer. The kid has pipes! The band is incredible. All three times i have seen them live they ruled. The solos kill and the music is unique...it is not following this trend of screaming and the same old riffs. They are what hard rock/metal should sound like...to Tumble-weed and everybody else who thinks that shitty death metal even compares to this type of music, everyone has their opinions...just like me...but if you dont even like this style of music there is no point in even responding to the review...yea i am a metal head..i rock out to lamb of god, slipknot, korn , killswitch, soad....but this band kicks ass!!!!
    lol I have no problem with this band, but I'm honestly sick of the hype.
    oldschoolthrash
    First of all...they ARE metal...maybe not what any of you freaks call metal but they are. Do you call ACDC heavy meyal, probably not but they are either way. And as for the singer. The kid has pipes! The band is incredible. All three times i have seen them live they ruled. The solos kill and the music is unique...it is not following this trend of screaming and the same old riffs . They are what hard rock/metal should sound like...to Tumble-weed and everybody else who thinks that shitty death metal even compares to this type of music, everyone has their opinions...just like me...but if you dont even like this style of music there is no point in even responding to the review...yea i am a metal head..i rock out to lamb of god, slipknot, korn , killswitch, soad....but this band kicks ass!!!!
    lol I have no problem with this band, but I am sick and tired of the hype. "OMG he is 15, that is so br00tal!" I think their music is acceptable, but nothing jaw-dropping.
    oldschoolthrash
    lol I have no problem with this band, but I'm honestly sick of the hype.
    fagelamusgtr
    I loved the album. Can't wait to see how they evolve. And to the people who say they are a record label band, they aren't. They had warriors of time and a few other songs written before the even got signed. Plus their teenagers. They're gonna need some direction in the studio.
    Dragon Master
    They have talent. I mean, this is a sign of what rock is going to be. Retro rock and roll is coming back.
    motorbreath_445
    man, i dont mind these guys, they are a bit over hyped because of the age and the songs are a tad generic, but it aint really that bad. i say just give these dudes some time, let them mature a bit, and their gonna rip some face.
    mikey son
    JPetrucci25 wrote: barge1 wrote: i don't like it. im 15, i write songs, i play live shows, ect. they apparently just knew the right people. i can write a song like thatin 15 minutes. just alot of power chords played in triplets with some leads taken right out of an old ozzy song. whatever man. anyone could do this shit. haha i love how people think they can compare themselves to someone way more accomplished and great. if you play gigs, you'll get noticed if your good. maybe this is the difference between you and them? give them some credit for the good things theyve done
    then howd this band get noticed there not very good and i listened to alot of 80s bands people just know of them cause the singer and thats it
    JPetrucci25
    Harvey_Danger
    SERIALTRENDKILL wrote: no offense to you disgruntled 15 year olds. but let me make a quick comparison. you may be "technically" better and obviously jelous that they've made a career for themselves, BUT Yngwie Malmsteen is "technically" a better guitarist than Slash. So why is it that Yngwie hasn't put out an Appetite for Destruction? What it comes down to is, its not how good you are and what your "good enough to play", its how you put your skills to work to form musical masterpieces. I'd take Slash over Yngwie any day of the week. So stop comparing yourselves to these kids. They had a great album. why don't all you "prodigy" guitar players put out your own albums and prove yourselves. you know what. you should all post links to your websites so we can all see why your albums are better than light from above. If your gonna talk, you gotta back yourself up...
    Common sense?! I thought that this didn't exist on the internet!
    LittleBurf5
    iplay6string wrote: awesome album stop bashing them
    Damn right brother. They're much better than you people give them credit for. Their riffs are harsh, and lyrics are fun. Especially for those as yound as they are. I think they are a great thing to happen to music. They give all young musicians, such as myself, hope.
    kennyvspenny
    RenegadeDave wrote: Anyone else see the irony of a at the time 14 year old kid releasing a CD that bears the "Parental Advisory" label?
    my thoughts exactly
    SERIALTRENDKILL
    Also, Barge. have you ever heard of Randy Rhoads or Jake E. Lee? or any ozzy guitarist for that matter? they are all unbelievable. so to compare 'light from above' to any ozzy guitarist is an enormous compliment to any band.
    SERIALTRENDKILL
    barge1
    Led4UrHead88
    you dont have to scream or be hardcore to be metal... this band has put together some pretty decent music for a first ablum. cant wait to hear what they do next
    Aziraphale
    The average age of the musicians (besides the singer) is 20. That's not young. Most of the classic bands were around that age when they started hitting it big. I'm 17 and attend a music school where no one is older than 19, and MOST of the people I know there swipe the rug with Black Tide as far as both skill, experience and musical knowledge goes. The singer is 15, yeah that actually is somewhat cool, simply for the fact that few guys sing at that age. But the rest of the band is a lot older, and a musician can develop a whole lot between 15 and 20. I'm not bashing the music they make (even if I do find it uninteresting and generic), I just think the age argument is bollocks.
    Magero
    Black Tide are overhyped, mediocre, and overproduced pop-rock. Don't sully the good name of metal by throwing in these posers. I don't care if they're 15 or 50, they're average musicians and nearly every song on their album was written by Jason Suecof.
    HellRaiser620
    Also, I'd like to know where all the guys who keep saying that other people came in and wrote and played all the songs for Black Tide in the studio get their information. Just a bit of proof to back up your accusations.