Light From Above review by Black Tide

• Released: Feb 11, 2008
Black Tide: Light From Above

Black Tide are amazing! Light from Above is a great debut, and it's just what the music of today needs. The stunning sound of heavy riffs, and Gabriel's voice combine to make an incredible sound. It sounds like influences come from the likes of Iron Maiden, Metallica, Megadeth etc. It sounds like this band should've been around 20 years ago (I'm only 13), but the solid production of the music gives it a 21st century kick.

Being a heavy metal/hard rock album, these lyrics are cliched beyond belief, but are nonetheless incredible, and go really well with the music. The Singer Gabriel is amazing, and for a 15 year old, he blew me away. Because I've listened to band with older frontmen, and they all sound great, I thought Gabriel would have a lot to live up to, but I was completely wrong. I just thought 'Wow this guy is amazing'.

I would say that the influences for this band are slightly obvious, but it also sounds very original. I would recommend listenint to 'Shockwave' and 'Shout', because they truly caught me. I love the fact that the guys in the band were under 20 when this album was recorded, and the songs are amazing. They're not one of those teenaged Pop Rock bands like 'MCR' or 'fall Out Boy'. No, this is real rock. If it was lost/stolen, I would definitely buy it again.

daryle_goh
    this band might not be that original or innovative. but it still makes me kinda happy to think that perhaps they have a chance of bringing metal of higher quality out into the mainstream rather than allow a bunch of pussies that scream about their girlfriends to call themselves metal.
    Batflames
    i cant believe what im reading. this band is F*CKING awesome. great guitar solo's, and the singer has an amazing voice or being a kid. someone said they are not metal. F*uck you! they beyond metal. listen to the warriors of time solo! its amazing! i cant believe the comments there are about this band. sure there stage performance might not be the greatest, but they rule. F*ck all the haters!
    Batflames
    Guitarfreak777 wrote: I saw them live and I wasn't that impressed with the sound, could barely hear the lyrics and I had heard a few off their myspace site and thought they were okay but sounded to much like Iron Maiden for my tastes (no offense to any Iron Maiden lovers) Although, they had a pretty big energy on stage, got the crowd going. All in all though, I say it's a phenominal start for this band because they are very young. But they definately have A LOT of room to improve both on singing lyrically wise and live wise.
    i dont know if you realize it but they did a iron maiden cover. so thats whay it sounds like iron maiden you idiot
    horloko
    You should be taking into consideration that the lead singer is young. If you look at it musically its not that bad actually. I can tell these guys have an amazing potential and they will reach it even if douches like most of you guys bash them. People need to stop being negative. They need to realize that this band has power and that they might be one of the only oportunities to save modern music.