Light From Above review by Black Tide

• Released: Feb 11, 2008
Black Tide: Light From Above

They sound straight out the 80's, however there more greatly mixed then the bands of old, (kill em' all for example). They have a thrashy sound with some catchy riffs to boot, this may be because thier greater influences include Metallica and Guns N' Roses.

The singer is a in my opinion a very good singer (espeically being 15) however the lyrics for me are far to cliche and at some points make me want to turn the track over to listen to something of great depth and meaning. However this is the account for all the songs on this album with some lyrics being quite enjoyable especially with the music there relating to.

This is a debut album and therefore there is room for improvement. However it is still a good listen. my favourite songs of this album are Shout, Light from above and shockwave. There is also a cover of Hit The Lights by metallica on there, which is a good listen but I'm not a fan of the solo they've done on that tune. If this album was stolen I would buy it again. A very good debut.

lilscooter11
    I think they're great live, well at least now, I saw them at Reading and they were spot on, and Gabriel's balls have dropped by the sounds of it, maybe that was his downfall in earlier live shows? Anyway Nuez left the band cos of creative differences. Lets just hope he wasn't the one with the better sense of direction, as although I like the current album, I expect a much better, original sounding record, as I expect them to have matured. But don't get me wrong, I love Light From Above, especially Shout, Warriors of Time, and Black Abyss!
    2mins2midnite
    they are signed to major record label so i would expect lots of hype around them and going on big tours supporting big bands
    ippystratman
    i read about the first 10 or so comments. am i the only guy who thinks this is a brilliant album? its exactly what metal should be, not this mixed down growly screamo crap it is today. there need to be more bands like black tide in the world who do what metal should be-fast riffs with awesome shred solos that makes you want to headbang like a mutha****a. i applaud these guys for not doing what they all do today ie just thrash and scream pointlessly. music needs emotion not just noises. hope black tide stick around \m/
    bliss10
    black tide is good, not sure if they are good enough to be this popular. this is my view on the age, the kid is fifteen now. they might be extremely good now, but imagine this kid ten years from now. if he keeps it up, he could be an INSANE guitarist.
    BaseballFury
    It may just be that because I just recently discovered Black Tide I am still in utter shock by the lead singer Gabriel Garcia's age, but more importantly I am blown away by the talent this kid has. Although I do have to agree his lyrics give his age away, however I also think they're not all that bad. He redeems himself anyway with his vocal flair, good looks , and provacatively aggressive guitar playing. Like many of you have already said, I anticipate the improvement and look forward to future output. I can't even imagine with what they have already achieved...
    maximumrocker
    TheJudasKiss wrote: Im not really sure what to think about these guys. The only song I really like off that album is "Shockwave". I just like the way it sounds. The lyrics aren't brilliant though. "I go around taking peoples lives While you sit around saying lies". Meh, these guys have talent.. but I dont know. I guess we'll see what the future holds.
    my thought exactly
    randyaintdead82
    FeiRei wrote: Wasn't Trivium in their teens when they Released their first two albums?
    trivium kicks some form of ass though, black tide cant use 7 strings and they would think its too "geeky" to write songs about greek and japenese mythology. then again, BT had warriors of time..
    axeofoc5249
    Crooked X and Black Tide two young bands getting too much credit. Who cares if they are young they don't have the talent to be signed they may as well play their shit on Disney Radio.
    Mr. Skull
    eh, these guys are like the jonas brothers, except they're trying to be hardcore. Saw them live a couple days ago, and i was impressed i'll admit
    TheJudasKiss
    Pat_s1t
    So ****ing awesome. I bought this CD when I saw them live at Mayhem Fest back on August 19th. Some songs are lacking, but like in the track "Light From Above", if you've ever seen them live you know that the drummer and keyboardist are the same person. Amazing. Definitely looking forward to their next release.
    sowhat360
    Pretty sure metallica was like 19 when they got started as well except they lived in an abandoned warehouse. Can't deny that these guys have talent. I think they'll be good down the road.
    RockUAway
    Wow, I looked them up about a week or 2 ago and these guys are amazing. He has a really good voice for just turning 15. I also wonder, why the singer isn't just vocals/rythm instead of being lead vocals and guitar. Theory of a Deadman and Black Stone Cherry also do this. You get enough Recognition being the Front man or Lead Guitarist yet alone being both...
    sXeforlife
    brutaldeath1 wrote: theyre still better than job for a cowboy or any bree bree brakedown pop screamo sceano band your a ****in idiot. JFAC or any band like them are not screamo or pop. theyre straight up deathcore and blow black tide way the **** out of the water. no contest. black tide sucks.
    eazy-c
    I'd take JFAC iver this shite anyday.
    wontu
    wow alot of you are annoying, why are you basing them on their age? if you don't like them, okay? just move on, not like its hurting you i liked them before i knew they were around 15 years old. hearing that just gave me respect that they were able to come out with music like that at the age. i think its one of the greatest metal bands that have come around this time, you guys might think differently, but its MY opinion. good luck to black tide
    motley-4-life
    The song quality is great. Black tide is the greatest new band and i don't care wat anybody else says. L F A is an awsome album.
    LD_Luke D
    PS. Anyone else see the irony of a at the time 14 year old kid releasing a CD that bears the "Parental Advisory" label?
    hahah funny
    Nightfyre
    swift2k8 wrote: First thing is first...you shouldn't consider their age at all. This band being young is THE only reason they are popular. I'm sick and tired of hearing their name. Their music is mediocre at best. They are nothing of their influences either. All they do is take in an idea, shit on it, and over produce it in the studio.
    This. It's over-hyped and over-done, with no real quality in the songs to back it up. Dragonforce called, they want their bag of tricks back... Age doesn't matter, song quality is what counts. I think these guys got signed too early though, they haven't matured as people or musicians. Yes they have skills, but there's more to music than that. Give them 5 years and quality time with a producer who can bring out the unique sounds in a band and there might be something here, but otherwise I'm not interested.
    alnicoV
    Batflames wrote: Guitarfreak777 wrote: I saw them live and I wasn't that impressed with the sound, could barely hear the lyrics and I had heard a few off their site and thought they were okay but sounded to much like Iron Maiden for my tastes (no offense to any Iron Maiden lovers) Although, they had a pretty big energy on stage, got the crowd going. All in all though, I say it's a phenominal start for this band because they are very young. But they definately have A LOT of room to improve both on singing lyrically wise and live wise. i dont know if you realize it but they did a iron maiden cover. so thats whay it sounds like iron maiden you idiot
    wow you are a tool, he meant that they sounded overall too much like iron maiden and he stated his opinion fairly and didnt bash. anyway...i think their pretty good, and honestly alot better than alot of crap out there lol.
    brutaldeath1
    metalcore123
    martyr1130 wrote: haha, its amazing how many people say to ignore their age, and just look at their 'shitty' music. Dude this music shits all over you. It is amazing! and why ignore their age? because the rest of us teenagers haven't made it yet? dude give them credit. What they have done in their short time is incredible. I see alot of jealousy and hypocrisy in these posts.
    who they know is incredible. If I played bass all day sure I'd be a 15 year old Victor Wooten. These kids had everything bought for them clearly, and know people in Interscope. They are mediocre at best, and they only 'stand out' because of their age. Their band name was Radio until Intescope changed it. Two of them are still in highschool. guess what, they are probably going to end up dropping out and at least all they'll have are high school diplomas, and when they're in their twenties, the buzz will be gone, and they will be homeless and playing acoustic guitars in the streets of NY. Move on.