Light From Above review by Black Tide

• Released: Feb 11, 2008
Black Tide: Light From Above

I really don't know what kind of music you could classify Black Tide as. They're metal enough to be considered standard Metal, but there's also some elements of Punk Rock, Hardcore and even a tiny bit of Guns N' Roses-esque Hard Rock at certain points. This is a very odd band, but then again, all the members were only teenagers when they recorded this album, so, if you put it into that perspective, "Light From Above" is pretty impressive. I'm sure their chaotic mashing of styles was probably intentional, given that this album was their debut.

The lyrics dance on the thin line between stereotyped Metal lyrics and '80s Power Ballad lyrics, with a mild undertone of early Nine Inch Nails. The lyrics are all fairly good, but nothing all too amazing. The music, when considered along with the lyrics is about the same, no spectacle, but well enough to work decently. The standout track when listening to the entire album, somehow manages to be a really nice cover version of Metallica's "Hit the Lights," which I actually found myself liking about equally as much as the original. The runner-up would have to be "Show Me the Way," which just because I know I'm going to have to say it eventually is NOT the Peter Frampton song.

My opinion on this album is quite simple, really. I think this band has a lot of potential and I sincerely hope that the two or three other albums they've released since "Light From Above" can live up to the sheer fun of this one. I don't know, as I haven't listened to any more of their music besides this single album, but unless they sell out, it can only get better from here... I hope. For some reason, as I'm writing this I have the sudden feeling that this is the best thing Black Tide will ever release, but I will still check out their other stuff sometime.

DiseaseAlex
    Bringing this album back from the dead. Sick tracks, a great album all around. Are the lyrics cheesy? Sure they are. Was it a tired genre? Yeah, alright. But, really, who cares? We had a bunch of young guys who loved old school metal who put together a real solid album that kicks ass. And it fucking rocked. Really hope they can bring back this level of energy on future releases, hasn't happened yet, but we can hope!